Swing arm shaft tunnel cleaning

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Nov 2020 22:25 #839252 by Ojisan rider
Swing arm shaft tunnel cleaning was created by Ojisan rider
Aloha guys.

I needed to change my course in my rebuild due to this COVID, decided to take my stock swing arm and rebuild it. Long story short, I got swing arm off, and it's all apart now. naturally, both needle bearings are dead, Shaft sleeve is rusted pretty bad on one side (I'm gonna keep this and see if I can salvage this. I have a small sandblaster cabinet so gonna try blasting it.

Anyway, my question is, just how do you clean the inside the swing arm side of the sleeve/tunnel? Bearing receiving ends will get blasted, as well as outside of the swing arm. Inside the arm, I couldn't see if there were any rust, but just in case, I want to sand it if I can, with something like 320 or 380, maybe with 400 wet paper. As of now, I did look inside and does not seems to have any rust build up. At least not the bad ones that you can clearly see with rust build-up.

Any suggestion on this?

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2020 05:41 - 01 Dec 2020 05:51 #839258 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Swing arm shaft tunnel cleaning
You could use a brake cylinder hone, or you could get a wooden dowel that is very close to the size of the hole and slot it up two or three inches on one end, then put the end of a strip of wet and dry sandpaper in the slot and wrap the rest around the dowel. Put the other end of the dowel in a hand drill. Spray copiuis amounts of WD40 or your favorite sanding fluid and polish away. Either way, be gentle. You want to polish away the imperfections, not change the diameter.
About 100 years ago, I bought a really cheap brake cylinder hone that uses strips of wet and dry sand paper. Maybe somebody still sells one.
I reckon you could also remove the rust chemically by sticking that end of the swingarm into a shallow container of your favorite rust-dissolving soup.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 01 Dec 2020 05:51 by TexasKZ.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
02 Dec 2020 09:00 - 02 Dec 2020 09:00 #839303 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Swing arm shaft tunnel cleaning
Do not sandblast the inner sleeve. It is a bearing surface and is precision ground from the factory. If you cannot find a replacement polish it with sandpaper as best you can. you do not want roughness here it will prematurely wear the needle bearings.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2020 09:00 by DoctoRot.

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Dec 2020 20:19 #839499 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Swing arm shaft tunnel cleaning
Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, I was thinking of brake hone, but not too sure what grit I have. Thinking about wrapping with sandpaper too, but I didn't want the paper to get stuck inside the tunnel. Guess it's not too hard to remove it in case it gets stuck.

DoctoRot, my sleeve is beyond salvage, I think. I should've took some pictures, but was getting dark and was rushing to clean up. Anyway, the end that is bad looks really bad, I mean the rust is beyond surface rust and it's really bumpy, if you know what I mean. Just wanted to blast it just to see how bad is it.

Fortunately, found the sleeve on evilbay and already on the way here, so when I get it, I'll compare the two and I'll go from there.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.