1978 KZ front axle issues

• Nyclocoengineer
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 May 2020 21:53 - 02 May 2020 04:49 #824754 by Nyclocoengineer
1978 KZ front axle issues was created by Nyclocoengineer
Hi folks...I've been on here since about 2005 and have been away from the KZ1000 for a long time. I recently purchased a 78 1000A (single disc up front, spoke wheels and had the motor done by Xtreame Motorsports. I'm having a issue with the front axle. I have the tangs correct for the speed recorder correct but when I torque the axle nuts to even 20 foot pounds the speed recorder spins with the axle. My next task is to see if the axle collar in the hub is set up correctly. My old Clymer's manual says the spacer should go on the left side but then the forks don't line up. I put it on the right (non disc side) and things look good. I was told by Jeff Saunders of Z!Enterprises that I might be missing a washer for the left side. Any thoughts?
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2020 04:49 by Street Fighter LTD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
02 May 2020 04:50 #824761 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic 1978 KZ front axle issues
Welcome to KZRider
I fixed your pictures. Next time hit the insert buttons
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
02 May 2020 05:56 #824764 by bluej58
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nyclocoengineer

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 May 2020 06:31 #824765 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 1978 KZ front axle issues

Nyclocoengineer wrote: Hi folks...I've been on here since about 2005 and have been away from the KZ1000 for a long time. I recently purchased a 78 1000A (single disc up front, spoke wheels and had the motor done by Xtreame Motorsports. I'm having a issue with the front axle. I have the tangs correct for the speed recorder correct but when I torque the axle nuts to even 20 foot pounds the speed recorder spins with the axle. My next task is to see if the axle collar in the hub is set up correctly. My old Clymer's manual says the spacer should go on the left side but then the forks don't line up. I put it on the right (non disc side) and things look good. I was told by Jeff Saunders of Z!Enterprises that I might be missing a washer for the left side. Any thoughts?

YOU MUST BE JOKING

More
02 May 2020 07:26 - 02 May 2020 07:33 #824769 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1978 KZ front axle issues

SWest wrote:

YOU MUST BE JOKING

I agree, he must be joking. Why else would he mount the speedo drive on the wrong side of the axle? Sort of like wearing a hat on one's feet and shoes on one's head. The funniest part is that if one actually did that the innards of the speedo drive would be turning backwards, so the speedometer would try to show all speeds being less than zero. Funny guy. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 02 May 2020 07:33 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• Nyclocoengineer
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 May 2020 22:34 #824822 by Nyclocoengineer
Replied by Nyclocoengineer on topic 1978 KZ front axle issues
Thanks Dave! Any advice on how to add my profile pic? I fixed the issue...bent tabs on the speedo gear that is in the hub.

John

• Nyclocoengineer
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 May 2020 22:46 #824823 by Nyclocoengineer
Replied by Nyclocoengineer on topic 1978 KZ front axle issues
Problem fixed! It seems that the part of the speed recorder that resides in the hub has two tangs (pardon the terminology) that were bent in towards the hub. I took the part to the vice and with the help of a 3/4" drive socket and a trusty ballpien hammer flattened it back out. Reinstalled and torqued to 60 foot pounds: success!

More pics to come on this project if I can figure out how to post them :-)

John

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
03 May 2020 05:35 #824837 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic 1978 KZ front axle issues

Nyclocoengineer wrote: Thanks Dave! Any advice on how to add my profile pic? I fixed the issue...bent tabs on the speedo gear that is in the hub.

John

You are welcome. Just follow the basic instructions and you will stumble thru it .
Im not a computer type and I can do it
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn