z1r speedo drive

• david richard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Apr 2020 06:18 #823521 by david richard
z1r speedo drive was created by david richard
hi would any one know if a kph speedo drive is different to that of a mph speedo ,i have a mph speedo onthe bike now and im sure it runs 10mph slower than true speed thanks david in the uk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2020 07:10 #823524 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic z1r speedo drive
The speedo drive gearbox is the same. Regardless of the type of speedometer it is, the cable spins the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: david richard

More
17 Apr 2020 12:52 #823549 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic z1r speedo drive
That is interesting. Most Kawasaki speedometers seem to read 8-10% higher than true speed.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Apr 2020 16:04 #823562 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic z1r speedo drive
I was able to adjust the spring tension by resetting the stop and reposition the needle so now when I go by that speed kiosk at 40 MPH it's dead on. CHP will now get you at 1 MPH over and I cruise right on by. :whistle:
Steve

More
18 Apr 2020 05:51 #823581 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic z1r speedo drive
Wow! 1 MPH over and CHIP is stopping people? Does anyone have a CHP ticket in hand for 1 MPH over? I would like to see a copy of the citation.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Apr 2020 10:33 #823599 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic z1r speedo drive
This state has turned one of the most respected LE agencies into a revenue enhancement arm of the state. It started in the 70's. "CHiP's" was a way to repair their reputation and it worked for a while. Unfortunately the party in control has passed more and more draconian laws the middle class are leaving in mass. The more they leave the more taxes they impose on those of us that can't leave.
If you get a ticket you have to pay the "bail" before you can go to court. If you go to court the traffic school can be more than the fines or you have to pay both. For most it's cheaper to just pay the "bail" and move on. A lot of times it's used as PC to pull you over then they look for something else to cite you for or worse. It happened to my daughter. She was pulled over then cited for not changing her address on her DL. She already did but hadn't received her new one yet. They knew that but she had to go to the DMV again to clear it up and pay a fee. This way the officer didn't have to appear in court if she fought the ticket and they got some money anyway. :angry:
Steve

More
18 Apr 2020 13:23 - 18 Apr 2020 13:25 #823610 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic z1r speedo drive
Okay I got ya' SWest. I have often heard of agencies giving out 1 MPH over tickets, but when I asked to see proof of such it was usually a friend that got the ticket and told me about it, or it was my brother or uncle or whatever blah, blah. Most large agencies especially state agencies, have some sort of uniform enforcement policy or guide in place that more or less informs their officers when to take any enforcement action and what that action should normally be. Those policies are also useful in order to treat people the same way whether they are in one location or several hundred miles away in another location within the state. Our official policy was a warning was appropriate for up to 5 MPH over the limit and anything more and the trooper could write a citation. The official policy was cite at 10 MPH and over, but at that time we had loads of discretion unless it was a speed enforcement detail of some sort. If you let someone go at 15 MPH or more over the limit you better have a pretty good reason for doing so. In all my time on the job no one drove off from one of my stops without some type of paper be it warning or citation or full out arrest. Verbal warnings didn't cut it in my book. In my 26 years on the department I never saw any of our troopers issue a 1 MPH over ticket or anything even close to that. There is no doubt that trooper would have caught some serious flak for doing so not only from above, but from their peers as well, which would have been worse. I did use our policy to my benefit a bunch of times if I wanted to stop a shady looking vehicle, but in most cases the speeding issue was grossly over shadowed by other problems the driver had such as warrants, revocations, drugs, etc. Now some of the smaller municipalities have been known to write some pretty far fetched stuff, but that was something I had no control over and I stayed away from those places for fear of being dragged into something I didn't need or want. I had to work hard enough to keep myself out of trouble, let alone worry about some off the wall small town traffic enforcement craziness. I do know quite a few CHP officers, but I have never heard them talk about things like 1 MPH over tickets, but perhaps things are different today. Oh well, it's good to be retired! But every now and then......
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Last edit: 18 Apr 2020 13:25 by Rick H..