Bridgestone S11

• ellipsesKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Apr 2020 06:45 #823315 by ellipsesKZ
Bridgestone S11 was created by ellipsesKZ
Hello everyone, i am thinking of getting a pair of Bridgestone S11 Spitfires for my 1981 KZ550 LTD. I was wondering if anyone else is running them and if they perform well. I can't find many reviews on them and I was hoping maybe some of you would have a general idea as to their performance. As well, i was wondering if removing a dry rot tire would be easier or harder than a regular tire. This will be my first tire change and I just want to know what I'm getting in to first :) thanks for any and all help!

'81 KZ 550 LTD
'80 KE 125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2020 07:40 #823323 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bridgestone S11
If for some reason you cannot break the bead of the old tire to remove it you may want to cut both sidewalls of the tire all the way around using a box knife. This will enable you to remove all of the tire except the two beads. They will then be very easy to remove. Ask me how I know. :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, ellipsesKZ

More
14 Apr 2020 08:39 - 14 Apr 2020 08:45 #823329 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Bridgestone S11
I removed an old old old rear tire by hand once. never again. a utility knife wasn't much help as the old carcass was pretty hard.

I'm currently running Bridgestone BattlAx BT45 tires & expect to go with the same next time.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2020 08:45 by martin_csr.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
14 Apr 2020 09:26 #823332 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Bridgestone S11
I ran those on my kz650. They were fine.
No complaints. That model has been out for a long time. There may be a more modern tire that could offer better performance. But the s11 is from a respected manufacturer and is probably better than an off brand tire in the same price range.

Many people recommend the Avon Roadrider, but I have not tried those.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

• ellipsesKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Apr 2020 09:50 #823333 by ellipsesKZ
Replied by ellipsesKZ on topic Bridgestone S11

650ed wrote: If for some reason you cannot break the bead of the old tire to remove it you may want to cut both sidewalls of the tire all the way around using a box knife. This will enable you to remove all of the tire except the two beads. They will then be very easy to remove. Ask me how I know. :laugh: Ed

Thanks ed! I've heard about this before but I wasn't sure if it had any validity behind it, now i know for sure ;)

DOHC wrote: Many people recommend the Avon Roadrider, but I have not tried those.

Thanks for the input, I looked at the Avons as well however they're pricier and I can't find my rear size on fortnine.ca . For around the same price as the s11 i can find either the Shinko 712 or Kenda K657, and I'd rather go with bridgestone for the same price. Thanks for all your help guys!

'81 KZ 550 LTD
'80 KE 125

More
14 Apr 2020 10:03 #823334 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Bridgestone S11
I've been using a Kenda K657 Challenger for quite a few years now. For a budget tire it was pretty good. It's been around forever, and I know many people who use them so I wouldn't be afraid to recommend them. Mine is now worn flat, but not cracked. It's at least 10 years old.

I'll be replacing it with a more expensive Avon, though, based on recommendations from this forum.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Apr 2020 11:16 #823344 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bridgestone S11
I would try and break the bead with a C clamp first. Get the opposite side of the tire in the center groove of the rim and try to work the bead off around the tire. Removed a 15 year old Chin Chin off mine. It wa hard as a rock but I did it. If you can't work the tire off then at least the beads will be loose (if you cut the tire) so they should come off easier.
Steve

More
14 Apr 2020 11:46 - 14 Apr 2020 11:47 #823348 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Bridgestone S11
Has anyone tried a heat gun to soften it up?

I vowed to never change a tire myself again, but now that I'm stuck at home I may actually try it.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2020 11:47 by loudhvx.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
14 Apr 2020 11:54 #823349 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Bridgestone S11
Here are 2 ways to break a bead without special tools, I really think the first guy has a clever/simple way to do it.
Get your self a couple of nice spoons

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
14 Apr 2020 16:39 #823382 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Bridgestone S11
I've heard nothing but bad things about the S11 and Kenda Challenger in the wet. The Shinko 230 and 712 have a much better reputation. They are shorter lived than something like a Avon Roadrider but at least they are cheaper.