Fork stabilizer

More
31 Aug 2019 09:41 #810142 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Fork stabilizer
I use a fork brace as a replacement for the stock metal fender and it was an improvement over the stock fender brace. It just made things feel less wiggly over washboard surfaces known as city streets.

I also have a steering damper which makes a far better improvement than just the brace. The 81 gpz550's have a very steep steering angle and was prone to headshake. The 650's I've ridden felt more stable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Aug 2019 10:12 #810144 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Fork stabilizer
I'd like to get one but they look flimsy to me.
Steve

More
31 Aug 2019 16:51 #810162 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Fork stabilizer
I wonder if Les at PDM could whip out a couple?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
More
01 Sep 2019 00:50 #810172 by seanbarney41
Replied by seanbarney41 on topic Fork stabilizer
Come on guys...a 500 pound bike with 35mm fork tubes and pretty strong brakes capable of speeds in excess of 100mph? You will definitely notice the improvement over what is provided by the front fender. Most fork braces allow the stock (or otherwise)front fender to remain in place.

More
01 Sep 2019 01:31 #810174 by 577nitro
Replied by 577nitro on topic Fork stabilizer

650ed wrote: Regarding fork braces one thing to consider is that many folks remove the stock front fender without realizing that i provides at least some fork brace function to the forks. This is because along with the fender itself there is a rather stiff metal support riveted to the fender that during normal riding keeps the distance between the two fork tubes constant. A stout fork brace will provide a stiffer support and may be worthwhile for use on the racetrack, but I doubt there are many, if any, situations in normal street use where distance between the two fork tubes will vary with the stock fender in place. At least I can say I haven't found it to be a problem on my KZ650-C1 for more than 42 years, 62,000+ miles, of riding, some of which were quite spirited. Ed

I would agree it does and some with at least independent fork action.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
01 Sep 2019 16:44 - 01 Sep 2019 17:22 #810199 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Fork stabilizer
Here are pictures of my LTDs stiffened front forks.
You may think this is over kill , but at warp speeds my front end dont shake .
This is on a high boost turbo bike .
A custom PDM ( Les Holt ) triple tree with built in brake splitter,
Fork brace at fender
and dual steering dampners
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Sep 2019 17:22 by Street Fighter LTD.

More
01 Sep 2019 17:31 #810200 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic Fork stabilizer
@ S-F LTD Very nice front end set-up and bike. It looks like from the pic that of your dual dampners that you utilized the upper frame reflector mounts ,(reflectors removed) , as a mount for the dampner, as I did also. Both of my reflector mounts eventually failed, cracked, and I had to remove the dampners. . Any solution to my missing mounts, or is welding the only option ?

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
01 Sep 2019 17:42 #810201 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Fork stabilizer

urankjj wrote: @ S-F LTD Very nice front end set-up and bike. It looks like from the pic that of your dual dampners that you utilized the upper frame reflector mounts ,(reflectors removed) , as a mount for the dampner, as I did also. Both of my reflector mounts eventually failed, cracked, and I had to remove the dampners. . Any solution to my missing mounts, or is welding the only option ?

Thank You

I welded in triangle shaped gusset's to make the reflector mounts plenty strong enough.
Never had a problem since done when frame was braced 35 or so years ago.
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2019 17:57 #810203 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic Fork stabilizer
Thank You Dave, I appreciate that input , and will look into those gusset's.. “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, and leading to the most amazing view.”
Edward Abbey
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD