Drive Chain Question

More
24 Aug 2019 17:24 #809783 by Rick H.
Drive Chain Question was created by Rick H.
Sooo, got home from my three week work stint in Littleton, CO last nite and decided to do some work on my KZ-1000 by putting the front and rear wheels back on it today. While doing so I discovered, much to my surprise, that the drive chain has a riveted on master link, or link. Not sure at this point what to call it. I guess my time away from Z's and KZ's is showing because I thought they used an endless drive chain without a link of any sort. Well needless to say I noticed something bad with the repair job that was done on the chain link that was riveted on in that the following link is not free to rotate as one would expect. It hangs up. Not that I was really surprised discovering this problem as most everything else I have touched on this bike has gone south on me, so no real big deal, until I started looking for a replacement drive chain. Apparently no one makes an endless chain for these anymore from what I can tell, at least I couldn't find one on a web search. What is the current practice when replacing a drive chain these days? Is there anyone making an endless drive chain anymore? As always, I appreciate any help in this matter and suggestions are most welcome.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2019 17:32 #809785 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Drive Chain Question
Endless changes (other than OEM) have gone the way of the doo doo bird. A nice quality modern chain with a rivet link will work just fine. Some guys even like the clip links. Key to getting a good install is having a proper high quality rivet tool, and those ain't cheap. Another thing to consider is converting to a 530 chain. They are lighter, cheaper, and save energy compared to the original 630 your bike came with.

More
25 Aug 2019 06:00 #809797 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Drive Chain Question
Thanks Nessism, now I know. Not surprising in a way that the endless chain went out of favor, but at one time it was the thing to have. A quick search on Mother Internet revealed a slew of chain breakers and riveters. Any ideas or recommendations on a good tool to purchase? Pit Posse, Motion-Pro or? Cost is secondary to quality in my mind. How about a chain manufacturer? Thanks again....

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

More
25 Aug 2019 06:16 #809798 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Drive Chain Question
I have a DID tool and really like it. It is well made and easy to use once you understand the somewhat minimalist instructions. Once you have it and a bit of chain in hand, it all becomes clear.
Any of the major brand chains will be loads better than the chains of old. Stronger, lighter and more durable. RK, EK, DID, et cetera. Don't cheap out on he sprockets, either. I recently bought a chain and sprocket set from Supersprox. When you buy the whole kit together, they warranty their rear sprocket for life. I am not sure if they make a kit for the KZ1000, but it would be worth investigating.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
25 Aug 2019 08:36 - 25 Aug 2019 08:37 #809810 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Drive Chain Question
I replaced the original endless chain and sprockets on my KZ650 at 36,000 miles. That chain was worn and needed to be replaced. I replaced it with a Tsubaki Sigma O-ring chain, and I was under the impression that it would not last particularly long. I began using Maxima Chain Wax about every 300 or so miles when I installed the Tsubaki chain. That was 17 years (24,000+ miles) ago, and that Tsubaki chain has only needed the very slightest adjustment (about 1/8 inch total) over those miles, and the sprockets still look like they are new. I suspect that Tsubaki chain will last 100,000 miles as long as I lube it with Chain Wax. To be honest, I don't know if the Chain Wax is the reason the chain is lasting so long, but I do not plan to stop using it in case it is the reason for the chain's long life. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 25 Aug 2019 08:37 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

More
26 Aug 2019 15:26 #809888 by Rick H.
Has anyone ever used a drive chain made by Isumi? If so are they any good?

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

More
26 Aug 2019 17:11 - 26 Aug 2019 17:12 #809897 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Drive Chain Question

Rick H. wrote: Has anyone ever used a drive chain made by Isumi? If so are they any good?

Rick H.

I'm no chain expert but if you can get a good deal on their high end X-ring chain I'd go for it. They are a Japanese company and such companies rarely make junk.

izumichain.co.jp/bike_e.html
Last edit: 26 Aug 2019 17:12 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

More
27 Aug 2019 06:40 #809924 by Rick H.
I am somewhat hesitant in asking this, but here goes. I spoke with a representative of a well known vintage Kawasaki parts source regarding obtaining a new drive chain for my KZ-1000. The replacement chain is supplied with a rivet link and a clip link and the end user has the option of installing either style. I asked the representative if there was a preferred choice in installing the rivet style master link or the clip style master link. He stated they have heard of no one having an issue installing the clip style master link over the rivet style, as long as it is installed correctly and that the clip style link is an industry standard and just as good as the rivet style link. Does anyone have any thoughts in this area? From my standpoint it would certainly be more convenient to install the clip style master link, but I wonder about the longevity of the clip.

As always thanks for any comments, or recommendations....
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

More
27 Aug 2019 07:16 #809932 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Drive Chain Question
I have never used a clip style, but the fact that the major chain manufacturers offer them suggests to me that they are not a problem. Definitely follow the instructions exactly, no matter which style you choose.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Aug 2019 07:20 #809933 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Drive Chain Question
On my last RK 630 chain I used the clip link. It lost it's lube and wore out early. I picked up a DID master link and used the chain until I got a new one. I bought a new 16 tooth counter shaft sprocket and installed the new chain. The rear 35 tooth sprocket was still like new. The Z1 calls for a 92 link chain. I got a 96 link and took out four. That was in April of 18 and still going strong. I didn't have the tool so I peened it myself being careful not to get it too tight. With the other chain I could roll the tire on the centerstand watching the chain and when the link got to the rear sprocket I could see daylight between the sprocket and the two chain links. The new DID link helped but the links were worn out anyway so the new chain. The 15 tooth sprocket was a blast to ride with but at 90 the bike tach'd too high thus the 16. Now I'm at 4500 at 80 and at 70 it's just purring along. B) Dodged another one there. :whistle:
Next time it will be a all new setup. Hopefully not too soon. B)
Steve

More
27 Aug 2019 09:23 #809942 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Drive Chain Question

Rick H. wrote: .................Does anyone have any thoughts in this area? From my standpoint it would certainly be more convenient to install the clip style master link, but I wonder about the longevity of the clip.
As always thanks for any comments, or recommendations....
Rick H.

I lost the master link clip on my Tsubaki chain after 12 years / 20,000+ miles. The clip was installed properly, but somehow it disappeared. I assume it must have snapped in two after being under tension for so long. The master link of the chain did not loosen up at all, nor did the removable link plate of the master link move at all. I simply replaced the master link clip with a new one from Tsubaki and everything was fine. I noticed the clip was missing when I lubed the chain (which I do about every 300 miles), so the clip was missing for less than 300 miles. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Aug 2019 10:57 #809943 by Rick H.
Thank you for the replies guys...…

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1