Rear Axel Coupling Sleeve Question

More
28 Jul 2019 07:38 #808287 by Rick H.
Rear Axel Coupling Sleeve Question was created by Rick H.
Hi All: I removed the front and rear wheels of my 1977 KZ-1000 yesterday to take the wheels in to get trued. Hopefully they will come back better than when they left. I did not have to take the Coupling hub with the rear wheel as the service person said he didn't need it. I took it out of the rear hub and laid it on my work bench however a piece called the coupling sleeve stayed in the coupling hub, but at some point it fell out of the hub and on my bench. I did not get a chance to see how the coupling sleeve was situated in the hub against the bearing. There is a difference in the sleeve as one side has a bevel to it and the other side is flat. Does the beveled side of the sleeve fit against the bearing, or does the flat side fit against the bearing? Thanks for any help on this. I looked in my service manual and nothing is said as to how the sleeve is installed and the diagram really doesn't show enough detail to tell which direction it is assembled.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Jul 2019 08:31 #808288 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Rear Axel Coupling Sleeve Question
Pics would help. One sleeve fits into the sprocket carrier and the other side is a spacer. I'd say the flat side goes against the bearing.
Steve

More
28 Jul 2019 08:43 #808289 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Rear Axel Coupling Sleeve Question
Does this look like it? The OD of the spacer/collar is different on each side so it will be a sloppy fit in the bearing if the wrong side is inserted. Flat side to the bearing in sprocket carrier please.
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Jul 2019 08:55 #808290 by SWest
That's the side I was talking about but the other side is different for drum or disk brakes?
Steve

More
28 Jul 2019 09:58 #808297 by asphalt900
Yes the Coupler is different but is just shorter in overall length on the disc KZ1000. Same bearing ID, axle size and bevel side OD. Z1 and KZ900 couplers were 42mm total length and KZ1000 was 36.5mm total length
Attachments:

More
28 Jul 2019 13:46 #808312 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Rear Axel Coupling Sleeve Question
Okay, here are a couple of pics of the coupling sleeve and coupler hub. As you can tell the sleeve looks somewhat different than what asphalt900 posted. The sleeve is offset quite a bit and the beveled edge is much sharper. The sleeve itself is 30.85 mm in length or 1.215". The O.D. on each end is almost identical at 29.85 and 29.94 mm. The sleeve will fit into the coupler hub bearing either way, but when installing it with the flat side to the bearing it is somewhat tighter in the bearing. The only thing I can say at this point is that installing the sleeve with the beveled side towards the bearing it seems to help guide the sleeve into the bearing. Anyone have any further thoughts on which way in the sleeve should go?

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

More
28 Jul 2019 13:55 #808314 by asphalt900
If you think about it trying to put the beveled side to the bearing doesn't make sense. That is why one side is machined, to rest against carrier bearing. The beveled side never touches anything. Look at the wear pattern that remains on collar.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Jul 2019 15:27 #808319 by SWest
The witness marks show where the bearing had fit. Bevel out.
Steve

More
28 Jul 2019 15:30 #808320 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Rear Axel Coupling Sleeve Question
Doesn't the service manual show the correct order and orientation?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer

More
28 Jul 2019 15:56 #808325 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Rear Axel Coupling Sleeve Question
TexasKZ: No the service manual doesn't say a single word about which way the sleeve goes unfortunately. The diagram in the service manual and parts manual isn't "detailed" enough to be able to tell which way it goes.

I will install it with the bevel side out. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1