Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fork upgrade with emulators 24 Feb 2021 06:31 #843981

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
Gordone, I should note...The hydraulic lock needs to be removed from your fork with the TD kit, so the fork must come apart to get it out. This is not a problem if you are replacing the seals. You can reuse your old seals if they are in good shape.
You didn't mention what forks you have. (Did you?) TD only keeps the lock in place with Harley forks.

With the RaceTech unit you keep your hydraulic lock and the forks don't have to come apart. You drop the emulator down the pipe.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fork upgrade with emulators 24 Feb 2021 14:09 #844020

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
Here's a couple of pics comparing the stock with TD.
Note the 5mm holes for compression damping in the factory damper rod. There's two, one on each side.
Note the real compression shim stack in the TD unit. This was set up by TD.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
Attachments:

Last edit: by blipco.

Fork upgrade with emulators 07 Apr 2021 07:00 #846320

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
Well, I finished with my refurbish of the zr7s with the exception of adding an inline fuel shutoff which will fit into the small space I have to work with. (I'm a big fan of the vacuum petcock but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them...while attached to the bike).

So here's a brief review of the AR-25 dampers and .95 springs.
First off. I barely rode the zr7s before I bought it so I'm not familiar with it. The best I can describe it is it feels like a baby ZRX1200, which I have owned for nearly 20 years.
I have a zrx1200 and a 2017 z900, both of which I sent the entire (cartridge type) suspension to Daugherty Motorsport in Indiana to have rebuilt for my weight and riding style. And both bikes now handle beautifully.
In riding the zr7s locally I can say this.. I can not tell the difference between my Traxxion Dynamics damper rod and my modified cartridge suspensions in my other bikes. That is to say they are fantastic. Mind you they are not cheap but are well worth the money and are the only option if you want decent performance from your damper rod suspension.
Keep in mind, with the ar-25 you are getting real compression valving, not a pop-off valve. 

Gone is the excessive front end dive under heavy braking, the front holds the line in the corners and it is not harsh over bumpy roads. The difference from before and after is night and day.
I should note that I have brand new unscrubbed Conti Motion tires so I wasn't exactly riding like Rossi.
Once I get out to my familiar curvy roads and put in a 300 mile day I'll know more and will post again but for right now I can say that these are well worth the money.

Not related.. The 2001 zr7s uses the 1982 GPz750 engine. It's only 65-70 rwhp but it's a nice little ripper once you get higher in the rev range. I paid $1450 for the bike then spent another nearly $1300 in parts (including tires and damper rods) to get it up to snuff. So I'm approaching three grand for a bike I'd be lucky to sell for two but I couldn't be happier.
The zr7S is an anachronism with its modern bodywork and ancient engine that was looked down upon by reviewers. How could Kawasaki come out with such a bike at the onset of the great horsepower war? Well, the reviewers were wrong. It is a great bike.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC

Fork upgrade with emulators 07 Apr 2021 07:24 #846322

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
How much for the dampers and will they fit the KZ 900-1000 forks? 
Got a link?
Steve

Fork upgrade with emulators 07 Apr 2021 10:44 #846339

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
traxxion.com/
The smallest damper rod he makes is for 41mm forks, which is what the zr7 has. But if you contact the owner, Max, and ask him, he may be able to make them for you. These are his design.
His damper rods with the valving set up for you is $299 US. For me I had to add the cost of new springs, which come with spacers, fork seals and wipers and fork oil specified by him. So my total including shipping was around $475 US.

His damper rods with a real shim stack is about $120 more than just the Race Tech pop-off valve but you also get nicely machined pre-drilled damper rods as well. Installation is a snap.
As Max states in his video, the Race Tech units work fine as far as a fix goes but they're not going to work as well as what he offers. I agree though I have never used the Race Tech so I can't compare the two. All I can say is, my forks feel like the upgraded cartridge forks on my other bikes.

Edit: I almost forgot... you get these cool stickers. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone

Last edit: by blipco.

Fork upgrade with emulators 23 May 2021 09:32 #848903

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
I just want to update... 
I finally got the zr7s onto the country backroads that I'm well familiar with and I can say this.. I have two other bikes with professionally modified suspensions that are set for my weight and riding style. And I cannot tell the difference between the damper rods in the 7S and the modded cartridge forks/shocks on my other two bikes. (ZRX1200 and 2017 z900). 
I was riding the same speeds on the same twisty roads with ease and without any pucker moments that you'll get with a bike with poor suspension. Of course the TD damper rods use real cartridge fork shim stacks so it's to be expected.
It's also very stable at 80+ on the highway.
I highly recommend the TD damper rods. Well worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone