fork bushings dilemma

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
22 Jun 2018 02:09 - 22 Jun 2018 02:15 #785634 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic fork bushings dilemma
I got the new bushing from Race Tech. They fit pretty good. I made a nylon plug to push them in because I thought I was going to have to use my press, but i was able to push them in by hand. This made me a little wary because there is nothing holding in the bushing but friction and it went in pretty easy. I have a set of later model forks that have a spring clip to retain the bushing for this reason. I decided to use a spring loaded center punch to "stake" the lip around the top of the bushing to make it harder to back out. I feel better about this. I finished assembling them with new Race Tech springs and gold valve emulators.

It was actually a blessing in disguise that the shop sandblasted these because it forced me to replace my worn out bushings. the inner fork tube fits very tightly and there is far less slop than before.

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jun 2018 02:15 by DoctoRot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2018 06:28 #785643 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic fork bushings dilemma
Nice trail blazing DoctoRot! I bet you are going to love how those forks work when you get them on the road.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
22 Jun 2018 20:13 #785691 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic fork bushings dilemma
Thank you for sharing your experience and solution.

When I replaced my first set of fork seals on my KZ650 many years ago, I noticed that those bushings seemed to be non-serviceable, and that they did not appear in the parts catalog. I've always wondered what could be done if they were to wear out. Now I know.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100