What should I know about soft saddlebags?

More
09 May 2018 13:31 #783133 by Shdwdrgn
I'm in the process of trying to pick some soft saddlebags for my KZ1000, but I get the feeling I'm missing something. I had assumed I would need to find something that fit between the turn signals and shocks, but that leaves an extremely limited space. Some of the pics I've seen have the bags hanging over the shocks... OK I can do that, but will the bags interfere with the shocks? Do I need to fabricate some kind of bracket to keep the bags from swinging into the tire?

I have seen types with a wide strap that goes under the seat, and another type with just a couple of leather loops that I assume are supposed to go around the frame, except I don't really see enough clearance on the frame to do that. Do those loops connect to something else? I've seen hard bags with a full frame to connect them to the bike, but I'm not really sure what options I would have with soft bags?

Would love to see some examples of what other people have come up with. I just need something smallish that I can carry my lunch in to work. A lot of the bags I've seen are really thick, but I don't really need anything more than about 4-5" thick and 10-12" long. Maybe some day I'll make something custom but for now I'd like to find something to just get me by.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 May 2018 15:09 #783143 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic What should I know about soft saddlebags?
I got some but they started fading the first season. I liked them but I knew they wouldn't last. I go visit my grandchildren almost every month so I carry a lot of gear and tools. My bike laptop rides in the top box along with other things.
Steve
www.chapmoto.com/nelson-rigg-spirit-seri...ddlebags-204-sprt-50
Attachments:

More
09 May 2018 15:28 #783146 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic What should I know about soft saddlebags?
I'm not too concerned about fading, at the moment I'm just trying to figure out how they're supposed to be mounted and such. I have that seat pan and plan to make a custom seat at some point. On my last bike I went through a couple of seat covers that kept ripping apart at the center hump so I finally made my own with the proper allowance to fit over the foam. I found some marine-grade vinyl that held its color for about a decade before I sold the bike, so I plan to use the same material in the future to make the new seat, a backrest, and possibly some custom saddlebags. Unfortunately there's already too many projects stacked up for this Summer so it will be awhile before I get to any of that. In the meantime I'm trying to see if I could buy a couple of smaller bags off ebay and somehow strap them up to the bike.

I'm surprised at how far forward your soft bags sat. Did that ever cause problems getting on and off the bike or just putting your legs down when you stopped? I see a foot peg poking out underneath in one of the pics so I guess that eliminates any possibility of a passenger.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
09 May 2018 15:39 #783148 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic What should I know about soft saddlebags?
Check online at JP cycle . They have every bag produced on there site.
Saddle bags are larger than you mentioned so maybe look at small travel bags that secure on the seat.
Or check with 650 Dude here on KZRider. He makes bags and other things.
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 May 2018 15:59 #783150 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic What should I know about soft saddlebags?
The bags were soft so I was able to make a dent in them for the signals moving them rearward. They have Velcro straps and quick disconnect straps that go to the frame. I didn't want the "Bagger" look but what I have works for me.
Lots of different kinds out there.
Steve

More
09 May 2018 19:23 #783157 by Shdwdrgn
Thanks to both of you for the info, and I'll have a look at that web site. Gives me more to think about. And yeah I've noticed most of the bags I've looked at were a lot larger than I wanted. I'm not planning on packing for a long trip, I just need something for the day-to-day ride, and I hope smaller bags will be less in the way. On my previous bike I had a sissy bar and made a smallish bag to velcro to the back of that. Worked great for a rain jacket, carrying drinks, and just a place to put things when I made a quick run to the store. Since my bike is still in fairly stock condition I don't really have a place to put anything right now, but it will all come together in time.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
10 May 2018 09:00 #783173 by davido
Replied by davido on topic What should I know about soft saddlebags?
Ive had a shop bought throw over pair and a homemade pair also.They both hung forward of the indicators and over the shocks. They are both full of holes where theyve rubbed on the shocks.Id say youre better off making some sort of basic frame to keep them clear of the shocks. Gives you more places to tie them to as well.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
10 May 2018 11:32 - 10 May 2018 11:33 #783177 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic What should I know about soft saddlebags?

Shdwdrgn wrote: I'm in the process of trying to pick some soft saddlebags for my KZ1000, but I get the feeling I'm missing something. I had assumed I would need to find something that fit between the turn signals and shocks, but that leaves an extremely limited space. .....

Since the turn signals are in the way, I've considered moving the turn signals to the tail light. One way would be to get the tail light / turn signal bracket assembly from a European Z650 et al. Another way which is essentially the same is to get the tail light turn signal bracket assy from a KZ400. The Z650 has the same tail light as my bike. The 400's tail light is smaller, but the bracket assy should mount the same as it uses the same fender damper.
Last edit: 10 May 2018 11:33 by JMKZHI.

More
10 May 2018 12:41 #783180 by Shdwdrgn
OK I've seen a couple different assemblies for a simple bar that presumably keeps the bags out of the shocks and wheel, seems like I should be able to fabricate something similar.

I do have some smaller aftermarket signals on the bike now, but from what I've read the turn signal placement is a common problem. Once I get the bike running smoothly I'll be converting to a tail fin setup which will require brackets for the brake light, so I'll be keeping the bags in mind and might move the turn signals at the same time.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
10 May 2018 13:21 #783183 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic What should I know about soft saddlebags?
For your intended use, you may also want to consider a tank bag. It should hold what you're looking to carry. Most have a quick connect mounting system and you can carry it with you like a backpack.

More
10 May 2018 13:35 #783186 by Shdwdrgn
I've seen those, not to sure about them though? I've also seen bags that mount to the rear fender and the forks. That fork bag could be really handy for carrying rain jackets and such, assuming I get one that is well waterproofed.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
10 May 2018 18:10 - 10 May 2018 18:12 #783195 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic What should I know about soft saddlebags?
If you are just looking to have something to carry your lunch, have you considered a tail bag? The one I bought was held on the bike via bungee cords. I used it for carrying a water bottle, some tools, a can of face shield cleaner and several micro fibers to remove bugs off the face shield. Never really over stuffed it plus it had zipped side pockets. Probably cheaper than a set of soft side bags. Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 10 May 2018 18:12 by Z1Driver.