Bronze Swing Arm Bushings ?

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
04 Feb 2018 15:10 #778219 by kzdcw
Bronze Swing Arm Bushings ? was created by kzdcw
I have a pair of Bronze swing arm bushing left over from my H2 project and never used. Can these be used on my 77' KZ1000A swing arm ?

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Feb 2018 21:13 #778234 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bronze Swing Arm Bushings ?
I'd check Z1E and see if they have the same listing.
Steve

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
05 Feb 2018 04:16 #778242 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Bronze Swing Arm Bushings ?
Steve, I didn't realize that I have needle bearings already. Maybe i should either leave well enough alone or upgrade to the later double needle bearing side ? Wouldn't needle bearings be better than bronze bushings anyway ?

77' KZ1000A

More
05 Feb 2018 05:31 #778245 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Bronze Swing Arm Bushings ?
That is an interesting question that I raised with a mechanic some years ago. His position was that in this application, bushings would be better. Since there is such a small range of motion at the pivot, any additional fiction that the bushing might have due to the greater contact area would be offset by the broader distribution of force that greater contact area would provide. If true, the bushings would last muc longer and would not create divots in the bearing race ( the correct term for that escapes me at the moment).
This sounded perfectly plausible to me.
Some precision machining would be called for, including creating a reliable way to insure that the bushing surface stays lubricated.

Want to be the guinea pig?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
05 Feb 2018 17:08 - 05 Feb 2018 17:08 #778274 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bronze Swing Arm Bushings ?

TexasKZ wrote: That is an interesting question that I raised with a mechanic some years ago. His position was that in this application, bushings would be better. Since there is such a small range of motion at the pivot, any additional fiction that the bushing might have due to the greater contact area would be offset by the broader distribution of force that greater contact area would provide. If true, the bushings would last much longer and would not create divots in the bearing race ( the correct term for that escapes me at the moment).
This sounded perfectly plausible to me

Some precision machining would be called for, including creating a reliable way to insure that the bushing surface stays lubricated.

Want to be the guinea pig?

Agree. The term for the divots is "brinelling." Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 05 Feb 2018 17:08 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ