Brake Hose

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Nov 2017 12:50 - 26 Nov 2017 12:52 #775110 by gordone
Brake Hose was created by gordone
Hi,

I`m looking for new brake hose to my bike, instead of using original rubber type, was I thinking about steel one, what are they called in English? Do you know about pages who selling ? can I just give them the length I want? What connection shall I have in the ends ?

Maybe someone selling bolt on to my bike?

Thank you.

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine
Last edit: 26 Nov 2017 12:52 by gordone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2017 14:10 #775112 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Brake Hose
If you look through page 2 of my 750 rebuild tutorial it shows you how to build your own brake lines from Earl's parts.

More
26 Nov 2017 15:15 #775115 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Brake Hose

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 Nov 2017 16:15 - 26 Nov 2017 16:24 #775118 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Brake Hose
I also use Earl's DIY brake lines.
They got bought out by Holley a long time ago.
www.holley.com/brands/earls/products/plu...seal_and_speed-flex/

Use -3 hose and fittings. Anything bigger gets harder to bleed.

Speed-Flex hose:
-3, 10ft, clear PVC jacket, 6100031ERL

The hose is very ridgid torsionally, so you have to get the banjo orientation correct the first time you assemble them or it will be very difficult to correct later. If you are prone to errors, you will want the adjustable position banjos(you really only need one adjustable one on a hose). They cost more and are slightly bukier looking, but they let you rotate the banjo position.

You should only use steel fittings for brake line duty.
I use the the plated steel, but they also have stainless.
Speed-Seal banjo fittings:
-3, Straight, non-adjust, .425" height, 600703ERL
-3, Straight, adjustable, .425" height, 600403ERL
-3, 30degBend, non-adjust, .425" height, 600803ERL
-3, 30degBend, adjustable, .425" height, 600503ERL

Crush washers, 10-pack, 177100ERL

Banjo bolt:
single hose, .475" height, 10mm x 1.25mm thread, 977515ERL
double hose, .475" height, 10mm x 1.25mm thread, 977518ERL

The fittings each come with one "olive" compression fitting, but you may want extras. They are cheap, and you should always use a new one to reuse a fitting.
-3 brass olive 699030ERL

The prices are really low right now as they are having a sale. I think the parts might be cheaper than what I paid 15 years ago.

Make sure to double-check the description in case I screwed up a part number.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2017 16:24 by loudhvx.

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Nov 2017 22:50 #775130 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic Brake Hose
Thank you all :)

Will read the posts and looking into making my own hoses :)

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

More
27 Nov 2017 08:14 - 27 Nov 2017 08:57 #775153 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Brake Hose
I installed Goodridge brake lines & fittings from Z1Enterprises.com. A handy thing about them is that if you order the wrong part or size, you might be able to return the incorrect parts. It's fairly simple to change out the parts if something doesn't fit right. And if you want to change something later on, you don't have to replace a complete brake line. However, I do like the idea of the complete brake lines from Cyclebrakes.com, but Goodridge have worked perfectly fine for me.

Speed bleeders are handy for easier brake bleeding. I used one for the first time last month. very easy.

Jeg installerte Goodridge bremselinjer og beslag fra Z1Enterprises.com. En praktisk ting om dem er at hvis du bestiller feil del eller størrelse ,, kan du kanskje returnere feil deler. Det er ganske enkelt å bytte ut delene dersom noe ikke passer riktig. Og hvis du vil endre noe senere, trenger du ikke å bytte ut en komplett bremselinje.

Imidlertid liker jeg ideen om de komplette bremselinjene fra Cyclebrakes.com, men Goodridge har jobbet helt bra for meg.

Hastighetsblødninger er nyttige for lettere bremseblødning. Jeg brukte en for første gang i forrige måned. meget lett.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2017 08:57 by martin_csr.

More
27 Nov 2017 08:17 - 27 Nov 2017 08:26 #775154 by loudhvx
I think the Earl's lines are in fact Goodridge, at least I thought they were at one point. It looks like Z1 sells pre-made hoses and then you attach whatever fitting you need on the ends. Earl's requires you to cut and assemble the hose ends yourself. The Z1 system is definitely easier.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2017 08:26 by loudhvx.

More
27 Nov 2017 10:00 #775158 by Nessism
Earl's and Goodrich are different. I've used both and prefer Earl's. Goodrich lines have a bulky nut and then you add in your banjo configuration you wind up with a pretty long hose end configuration that doesn't bend.

More
27 Nov 2017 10:53 - 27 Nov 2017 11:04 #775162 by loudhvx
Goodridge, not Goodrich as in B.F. Goodrich.

I'm talking about just the hoses. My earliest Earl's hose had Goodridge printed on them. The new hose now says Earl's Speed Flex.

Earl's in the U.S. was bought out by Holley. But Earl's in Australia may still be independent. Their website has a Goodridge tag banner . In non-u.s. areas, the company names Earl's and Goodridge still seem to be used with some overlap. Some of the Goodridge kits in the U.K. appear to look identical to the products from Earl's in the U.S.

But the kits I found at Z1 are pre-made hoses with add-on fittings. The Earl's products I use have the hose-end as part of the fitting assembly. The hose comes as raw hose. Like you said, it makes the final product less bulky at the ends, which is what I was after as well.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2017 11:04 by loudhvx.

More
27 Nov 2017 11:14 - 27 Nov 2017 12:50 #775164 by Nessism
Earl's sells the premade hoses too, but I can't find the screw on hose ends. The source I use is AN Plumbing. They are located just a few miles up the road and were the FIRST Earl's store ever opened according to the owner.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2017 12:50 by Nessism.

More
27 Nov 2017 12:32 #775170 by loudhvx
I suspect Earl's is not really a manufacturer, and just packages and resells from other suppliers (who do not deal directly with the public, or at least not originally). When Holley bought them, maybe Holley decided they didn't want manufacturer trademarks on their products and started putting their brand (Earl's) on them.

More
27 Nov 2017 12:50 - 27 Nov 2017 12:57 #775172 by Nessism

loudhvx wrote: I suspect Earl's is not really a manufacturer, and just packages and resells from other suppliers (who do not deal directly with the public, or at least not originally). When Holley bought them, maybe Holley decided they didn't want manufacturer trademarks on their products and started putting their brand (Earl's) on them.

A tidbit about the history of Earl's here... www.holley.com/about/earls/history/

Earl's Performance Products was founded by Earl Fouts nearly 50 years ago in Lawndale, California. The mission was to supply high-quality military aircraft specification surplus plumbing components directly to the racing industry from a small retail outlet. As the military surplus market dried up, Earl recognized the need for continuity of supply to the racing market and pioneered the Earl's range of hoses and fittings that are still used (and copied) today. In doing so he created the racing aftermarket plumbing industry.

If you look at the hose ends many of them say "Earl's" engraved into them.

Last edit: 27 Nov 2017 12:57 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, 650ed