Brake Hose

More
27 Nov 2017 19:32 #775206 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Brake Hose
That's interesting. They do say "pioneered" but don't really mention "manufactured". The new fittings do say "Earl's", but then again my Kenmore washer says Kenmore, but I know Whirlpool manufactured it. I wonder if I have a really old Earl fitting with no name on it. It would take some digging. Ugh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2017 05:17 - 28 Nov 2017 05:24 #775220 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Brake Hose
By Nessism: .... Goodrich lines have a bulky nut and then you add in your banjo configuration you wind up with a pretty long hose end configuration that doesn't bend.

Yes, that's true. With the brake line & banjo installed the rigid end is about 2.5" long & another inch or so in which the brake hose itself is kind of inflexible, so about 3.5" - 4.0" total of no flex (about 90 - 100mm). At the Fr brake it's only problematic at the master cylinder, so a guy better order the correct banjo fitting for there. hee.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2017 05:24 by martin_csr.

More
28 Nov 2017 07:01 - 28 Nov 2017 07:05 #775232 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Brake Hose

loudhvx wrote: That's interesting. They do say "pioneered" but don't really mention "manufactured". The new fittings do say "Earl's", but then again my Kenmore washer says Kenmore, but I know Whirlpool manufactured it. I wonder if I have a really old Earl fitting with no name on it. It would take some digging. Ugh.

Earl's stuff is Real Deal. I'm not sure how many patents he's had over the years but his parts have been running on Top Fuel dragsters and the like for decades. His parts are the ones being copied, not the other way around.

Found another nice blurb about Earl Fouts...

Earl Fouts, credited with starting the AN plumbing industry, and also founder of Earl's Performance Products—best known for the high-performance plumbing found on most Indy cars and high-performance vehicles—passed away August 23, 2010, in Cardiff, California, at the age of 88.

Fouts was born November 5, 1921, in Belpre, Kansas, and had been a former longtime resident of Rancho Palos Verdes, California. He founded Earl's Performance Products nearly 50 years ago in Lawndale, California.

The mission was to supply high-quality military aircraft specification surplus plumbing components directly to the racing industry from a small retail outlet. As the military surplus market dried up, Fouts recognized the need for supply continuity to the racing market and pioneered the Earl's brand range of hoses and fittings that are still used today. As a result, he is credited with creating the racing aftermarket plumbing industry.

Fouts' plumbing has been featured on the majority of Indy 500 winners and still powers top teams, including John Force Racing, each weekend. The company was sold to Holley in the late ’90s.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2017 07:05 by Nessism.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Nov 2017 08:11 - 28 Nov 2017 08:14 #775247 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Brake Hose
OK Gord 1. You are in Norway! Shipping must be real tough!
So, I am sure you have your Harley Davidson people and shops!
Just go to a harley shop and buy some parts. All the new HD stuff is 10mm.
Stainless Braided hose is sold by inch increment pieces, 10" - 11" - 15" - 20" and whatever etc.
The fittings are also every angle and degree, 180' 90' 135' 45'.
All plug and play! I am sure a local HD, Chopper, Custom shop will deal with you! As long as you don't wear an opposing gang patch or colors! (LOL) This way you see items hands on. No International shipping.

OR! any Industrial, Commercial, Warehouse parts distributor that works on construction, heavy equipment. That make and repairs high pressure Hydraulic hoses for Industry. There is plenty where I live in USA.
They can set you up. I made this stuff up 5 years ago, Dual discs for a 76 KZ900 all done at about $80.00 US dollars

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Nov 2017 08:14 by z1kzonly.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
28 Nov 2017 08:59 #775249 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Brake Hose
All good sources .
In Metro Detroit the go to supplier was Auto , Cycle , Marine in Troy MI.
Now they have gone big time . They have it all or will make it , but bring a wheel barrow full of gold
Hosenow.com
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
28 Nov 2017 10:06 #775250 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Brake Hose
No one is disparaging Earl Fouts or his company. But patents and inventions etc. doesn't mean he is the manufacturer. I can't find anything online that says Earl's manufactures their own parts. In fact, Aeroquip claims to be the only performance plumbing company that actually manufactures their own parts. Goodridge is a huge manufacturer, and evidence shows they might be the manufacturer of Earl's parts, at least their raw hoses.

The point is, Goodridge is likely equal quality to Earl's, even if their final product is bulkier and less attractive. The tradeoff is that it's easier to put together.

More
28 Nov 2017 13:45 - 28 Nov 2017 13:49 #775260 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Brake Hose

loudhvx wrote: No one is disparaging Earl Fouts or his company. But patents and inventions etc. doesn't mean he is the manufacturer. I can't find anything online that says Earl's manufactures their own parts. In fact, Aeroquip claims to be the only performance plumbing company that actually manufactures their own parts. Goodridge is a huge manufacturer, and evidence shows they might be the manufacturer of Earl's parts, at least their raw hoses.

The point is, Goodridge is likely equal quality to Earl's, even if their final product is bulkier and less attractive. The tradeoff is that it's easier to put together.

Sorry man. I misinterpreted your remarks to suggest that Earl's parts are just rebranded stuff made by other companies. I'm not sure if Earl's has their own manufacturing facility (Holley now) or if they contract out the build to supplier, but I'm pretty sure most of their parts are their own designs these days.

If anyone wants to use Goodridge parts Z1 sells them... www.z1enterprises.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=goodridge

I've used them before and they were okay but I had leaks until I really cranked down on the banjo nuts. After I got them sorted though they were fine.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2017 13:49 by Nessism.