hit bump....seal went boom...

More
26 Aug 2017 15:11 #769830 by cbrianroll
hit bump....seal went boom... was created by cbrianroll
So I need to replace seals now and not having the best luck finding out what else to replace since I'm tearing them apart. First time for me replacing fork seals...any advice on what to replace and special tools needed would be appreciated, thanks.

1980 kz550ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Aug 2017 15:20 #769831 by SWest

More
26 Aug 2017 16:03 #769839 by cbrianroll
Replied by cbrianroll on topic hit bump....seal went boom...
Oops, that's embarrassing.....80 kz550ltd

1980 kz550ltd

More
27 Aug 2017 10:33 #769874 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic hit bump....seal went boom...
The model designation for the 1980 KZ550 LTD is KZ550-C1.

For a parts diagram with part numbers take a look at www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/Kawasaki#...0-C1-1980/080122D-10

For repair instructions take a look at the Kawasaki Service Manual that covers the KZ550-C1. It can be found at www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/Kz400500550_79to83.pdf

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Aug 2017 10:52 #769877 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic hit bump....seal went boom...
I have changed the fork seals on several bikes. The job isn't difficult, but for me it has always been messy with fork oil everywhere. Wear clothes you don't care about.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

More
27 Aug 2017 17:18 #769897 by cbrianroll
Sorry for the late response guys, and thanks for the input. Doesn't seem like rocket science lol, just thought I read to replace something else since it's open and I can't find it...aarrgg!! And wondering if I can make a tool or if I gotta buy one. Busy weekend so all I've done is drain oil and pull spring. The exciting part was when my dog knock the bike over on me and now it's got a few little dents in the tank. Might be time to build a proper bike table.

1980 kz550ltd

More
27 Aug 2017 17:32 #769898 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic hit bump....seal went boom...
If you find that the holes in the top of the fork cylinders are round (like my KZ650-C1) rather than hexagonal you may want to make a tool to hold them if you plan to disassemble the forks. You can make a tool by super gluing a 9/16” OUTSIDE diameter vacuum cap to a 3/8” steel rod and putting other end of the rod through a big bolt to make a t-handle to give you a way to hold the rod. I put a clear tube on the rod before gluing on the cap to protect the fork top threads. The friction of the rubber vacuum cap will hold the fork cylinder, but you must apply much force while someone else uses an impact wrench to loosen the fork cylinder bolt. The images below show the tool I made.

As an alternative, you can buy a tool. Take a look at the center tool in the top row at www.racetech.com/page/id/70 . Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
27 Aug 2017 20:38 #769905 by cbrianroll
Awesome! Thanks much! Ordering parts tomorrow.

1980 kz550ltd

More
28 Aug 2017 05:52 - 29 Aug 2017 04:54 #769911 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic hit bump....seal went boom...
Use a flashlight to look down inside the forks. The head of the damper rod (inner cylinder) might look like a 12-pt socket. If so, you might be able to fab a tool. some guys use a long bolt w a nut welded to the end. I used a LH threaded bolt/nuts w long ratchet extensions.

Use an 8mm hardened or brake caliper socket to remove the bottom allen bolts.
a cheap tool could twist & break or damage the head of the fastener.

To pull the seals, an off-the-shelf seal puller form the auto parts store should work fine. If you've never pulled a seal before, you have to hook the inner metal ring encased within the rubber --- otherwise, you'll just end up destroying the rubber. Work at the end of a table with a small scrap of wood or something to protect the tubes which are easily gouged.

Air pressure note: the max psi listed on the fork tube label is not the operating pressure. I don't know the exact spec for your bike, but it's probably in the 7.5 - 14.5 psi range or thereabouts. In case the seals blew from over-pressurization.

1981 KZ650-CSR. the KZ550 Ltd is probably similar.

Last edit: 29 Aug 2017 04:54 by martin_csr.

More
28 Aug 2017 07:35 #769914 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic hit bump....seal went boom...
Replace the upper bushing if it's worn. If the upper bushing is worn, it will shorten the life of the new seal. Some forks don't have a removable upper bushing, but some/most/all ? 550's did.

More
29 Aug 2017 11:25 #769943 by cbrianroll
Thanks guys, hust got it all cleaned, nothing looks bad on the metal parts. I think i had 8 lbs in it. Well see if I screw this up lol

1980 kz550ltd