Chain or slipping transmission

More
25 Aug 2017 17:58 #769757 by WRJansen
Chain or slipping transmission was created by WRJansen
Hey all-
So I took my 2001 KZP in today to have it given a once over and to take a look at the chain, which to me seemed lose.

So while riding I noticed i clicking sound, not rapid click, maybe 2 a second for about 3 seconds. I only happened when I stayed in 1st gear for a little too long. Did not happen in any other gears or when operating in 1st gear at normal speed, only when I stayed in 1st too long.

I mentioned it to the shop owner when I dropped it off, he hasn't looked at the bike yet but his 1st thought was maybe 1st gear was slipping.

I thought maybe it was due to the fact that the chain was a bit lose.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

2001 KZP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Aug 2017 19:41 #769760 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Chain or slipping transmission
1st gear won't slip. Clutch maybe but in higher gears. Pic of the chain and sprockets?
Steve

More
25 Aug 2017 23:02 #769772 by WRJansen
Replied by WRJansen on topic Chain or slipping transmission
Thanks Steve- Its at the shop right now, so no pictures. I am assuming it has the ones used by the police it is a retired one- if the shop calls saying they need replacing, I think I will go with the non police spec ones.

2001 KZP

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Aug 2017 04:46 #769782 by SWest
Non Police Spec? 1st gear slipping? Sounds fishy to me.
Steve

More
26 Aug 2017 04:56 #769783 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Chain or slipping transmission

WRJansen wrote: Hey all-
.....................I mentioned it to the shop owner when I dropped it off, he hasn't looked at the bike yet but his 1st thought was maybe 1st gear was slipping.

I think I would take it to a different shop or learn to do my own work. Gears don't "slip". Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
26 Aug 2017 05:06 #769784 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Chain or slipping transmission
Welcome to KZR
I highly recommend you read the factory service manual for your bike cover to cover.
Even if you dont want to , or cant do your own work it will give you a understanding of how the bike functions.
About 95 percent of the membership here does their own work . We would be happy to offer advise on anything from basic maintenance to a whole bike rebuild but only if you do some basic homework and learn about your bikes operation.
First off , It is impossible for the transmission to slip. Clutch can but not transmission.
Secondly . Chain adjustment can be done faster than you could drive the bike to this mechanic. Its real easy..
Once chain is adjusted it is possible to check the condition of the drive chain and would have possibly removed the clicking noise caused by a loose chain.
If chain is worn out replace front and rear sprockets at this time..
Some manuals are available here to be downloaded by our membership for free
I share concerns about this shop / mechanic . I wish you the best and stand ready to assist
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
26 Aug 2017 07:42 #769791 by WRJansen
Not them saying non police specs... From what I read on the police version they ran a different chain and sproket. From what I read it was for bettwr excelleration.

2001 KZP

More
26 Aug 2017 07:46 - 26 Aug 2017 07:47 #769792 by WRJansen
Thanks for the info..... I normally do comb through shop manuals 1st..... Just bought the bike and the manuals in the mail..... Also read through the free one on here

2001 KZP
Last edit: 26 Aug 2017 07:47 by WRJansen.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Aug 2017 07:57 #769796 by SWest
I didn't want to say the shop was crooked but some are. Some won't even work on these bikes. I run a 16 T countershaft and a 35 T rear sprocket. I lose a little low end but at FWY speeds the engine is purring along not screaming like the crotch rockets do.
Steve

More
26 Aug 2017 08:32 - 31 Aug 2017 06:23 #769798 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Chain or slipping transmission
There are 2 manuals here on KZR that are applicable to the 2001 KZ1000P, so you should be able to investigate the drive chain. Be sure to note the chain wear measurement which is for checking the amount of drive chain stretch. Also, before adjusting the chain, I would note the chain adjustment marks on both sides. take pics for reference just so you'll be aware of your starting point in figuring out the problem. in case the po or someone didn't adjust the chain right.

From the diagrams the 1000P does have a larger rear sprocket & longer chain than the Ltd & CSR model & probably the 1000J, so as you noted, it should have more acceleration. To improve the fuel economy you can probably go with a smaller rear sprocket.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2017 06:23 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Aug 2017 11:22 #769810 by SWest

More
26 Aug 2017 13:47 #769823 by WRJansen
Thanks fellas!

2001 KZP