Shitty clutch cables

More
01 Jun 2017 18:57 #763267 by TerryK
Shitty clutch cables was created by TerryK
Do you guys have any recommendations for a GOOD clutch cable for KZ900/1000? Cant get OEM ones any more the aftermarket ones break after only a few months. I'm tired of getting stranded and having to carry a spare because I KNOW that sooner or later these shitty cables will snap. Ive tried a few brands including Motion Pro and I get the same result. And yes, the cables and the bike are very well maintained.

Thanks in advance!

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
More
01 Jun 2017 19:17 - 01 Jun 2017 19:26 #763269 by 9er rider
Replied by 9er rider on topic Shitty clutch cables
+1 Check with Barnett Or dime city cycles,, maybe give them a call. I took a jewelers file and smoothed everything out and made sure the bar end was greased.

76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd
Last edit: 01 Jun 2017 19:26 by 9er rider.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
01 Jun 2017 19:38 - 01 Jun 2017 19:40 #763271 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Shitty clutch cables
Do they always break right at the lever end?
That could mean there is a burr or something not aligned with the lever mechanism.

But yes, OEM is by far the best cable, at least for the money. You could try a different oem cable from a more modern bike if you could find one around the same length with the same ends and free length (but that may be hard to do).

If you can find a different, longer OEM cable, you could try to cut it down yourself. That's what I've been doing lately.
This is for a 550. If the 900 cable is thiscker you might have to source different ends. I usually work on the lever end since that's usually easier to get (although I was able to make some as well).
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Kz550ClutchCable...tchCableShorten.html

I was getting ready to do the same mod Steve did... more as an experiment, but never got around to it yet.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2017 19:40 by loudhvx.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Jun 2017 20:02 #763272 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Shitty clutch cables
Back in the day I used a 75 GL 1000 cable. It was thicker and lasted a long time. That was when you could compare off the shelf. Now if it's not on the computer, you get the fish eye.
Steve

More
02 Jun 2017 04:47 #763299 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Shitty clutch cables
They always break right where the cable goes into the end barrel. There are no burrs, the cables are always kept clean and well lubed. Keep in mind, that this has been happening since the supply of OEM cables ran out some 20 years ago. (I've had this particular 1000 for 35 years)

loudhvx wrote: Do they always break right at the lever end?
That could mean there is a burr or something not aligned with the lever mechanism.

But yes, OEM is by far the best cable, at least for the money. You could try a different oem cable from a more modern bike if you could find one around the same length with the same ends and free length (but that may be hard to do).

If you can find a different, longer OEM cable, you could try to cut it down yourself. That's what I've been doing lately.
This is for a 550. If the 900 cable is thiscker you might have to source different ends. I usually work on the lever end since that's usually easier to get (although I was able to make some as well).
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Kz550ClutchCable...tchCableShorten.html

I was getting ready to do the same mod Steve did... more as an experiment, but never got around to it yet.

1977 KZ1000
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
02 Jun 2017 05:04 #763303 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Shitty clutch cables
Is the clutch lever and perch stock? Are you running something aftermarket, or from a different year? Are there any part numbers on the cable housing? Motion Pro makes cables for the KZ1000A and KZ1000B, but they are not the same number.
www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/search/by_m.../KZ+1000A/0/0/0/0/0/
Send them an e-mail as they make "custom" cables as well.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
02 Jun 2017 05:35 #763307 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Shitty clutch cables
Are the cables routed such that there is no bend near the perch? I've owned my KZ650 for a bit more than 40 years (60,000+ miles) and never had a cable break, although I have never used an aftermarket cable. I've only changed the cable once and that was only because the outside sheathing of the original cable was looking bad where it runs through the clip at the frame. That cable still worked fine and had no fraying. Also, if you don't already do it , be sure to grease the clutch perch where the cable enters. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
02 Jun 2017 06:15 #763309 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Shitty clutch cables
I go through a lot of cables too. I was using original Kawasaki then when they got hard to get went to the Motion Pro. The original is a better cable obviously just by simply looking at them side by side, but the life is not much better. Cable is stressed every time the lever is pulled in and will eventually break at the weak point, and that is at the lever. If you do a lot of stop/go, the cable will not last regardless of brand. I never carried a spare or worried about it, just rode til cable failure. A broken cable is no big deal.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
12 Jun 2017 03:32 #764141 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Shitty clutch cables

RonKZ650 wrote: I go through a lot of cables too. I was using original Kawasaki then when they got hard to get went to the Motion Pro. The original is a better cable obviously just by simply looking at them side by side, but the life is not much better. Cable is stressed every time the lever is pulled in and will eventually break at the weak point, and that is at the lever. If you do a lot of stop/go, the cable will not last regardless of brand. I never carried a spare or worried about it, just rode til cable failure. A broken cable is no big deal.

No, it's not a big deal, but when it happens at the start of a good ride with friends, or in the middle of heavy traffic, it's a definite piss off. I've had this bike 35 years and owned a few more 900s as well. I understand the stresses that these cables go through. Thanks.

1977 KZ1000
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
12 Jun 2017 09:20 #764157 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Shitty clutch cables
I would assume with your setup you're also running HD clutch springs. That's definitely going to add stress on the cable.

Are you the same TerryK from the old MotoDrive, DMXS and VitalMX?

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
12 Jun 2017 10:24 - 12 Jun 2017 14:16 #764160 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Shitty clutch cables
Hi all,
This might help extend the life of clutch cables:

PN# 53180-425-010 - BOOT, HANDLE LEVER

It's a rubber cover that protects the clutch lever pivot and cable-barrel areas from collecting grit. Easy to install, just remove the cable from the perch/clutch lever and insert the cable through the hole in the cover, reinstall the cable onto the perch and adjus free play. We came to the conclusion that grit in the barrel/ lever area was contributing to abrasion of the cable strands.

Now for the bad news; it's a Honda part. We discovered them when we bought our '93 CB750 Nighthawks. We now run them on all our Z-1's.

The purists amongst us may now proceed to vilify and otherwise slander, smear, abuse, desparage, attack, blister, censure, curse, debase, dig, jinx, knock and basically have a hissyfit :dry: for us having a Honda part on Z-1's but hey, it works :whistle:

As an aside, we ordered OEM throttle cables from Mama Kaw last year to correctly complete a basket case. They were still available, but we had to wait six weeks for the closing cable..What we received were, indeed, OEM cables complete with correct data printed on the sheath.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Last edit: 12 Jun 2017 14:16 by slmjim+Z1BEBE. Reason: Clarity