Keys fall out of barrel

More
06 May 2017 18:47 #761335 by Irish Yobbo
Keys fall out of barrel was created by Irish Yobbo
Both my KZ's (KZ250 and KZ750) have had the same issue where the key can be removed from the barrel when running. This wasn't really an issue with the 250, but the key just fell out when riding for the 2nd time today. The first time I saw it happen and stopped and picked them up. This time I didn't notice, but fortunately they got stuck under the handebars. But it's a problem just waiting to happen.

Is there any repair that can be done to hold the keys in place, or even just make the barrel a bit 'tighter' so the key doesn't come out so easily? I've tried with a freshly cut key with no success, it's the barrel. And the only thing I have on the keyring are my keys to the garage and house, so no great weight.

I'm considering making some sort of clip to attach it to the handlebars so it can't come off the bike, but is there any other repair except for getting a new barrel?

1981 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 May 2017 19:23 #761338 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Keys fall out of barrel
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI finally replaced the switch. I still use a lanyard with them. If the tumblers are worn out, so is the switch. I had a problem with it shutting off while riding. ANOTHER reason to replace the switch.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Scirocco
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
06 May 2017 19:45 - 06 May 2017 19:49 #761344 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Keys fall out of barrel
Sometimes a key lock profile is in so weak shape ( by construction ) that the internal lock of the barrel have not adequate tension ( hold by the springs of the bolt locks )to hold the key in the barrel
Last edit: 06 May 2017 19:49 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
07 May 2017 06:31 #761367 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Keys fall out of barrel
Are there a bunch of keys on your motorcycle key chain? You probably need to repair or replace the ignition switch, but in the mean time if the keychain is heavy, try removing all of the other keys & whatnot. If there's only one key, then never mind.

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
More
07 May 2017 09:29 #761405 by 9er rider
Replied by 9er rider on topic Keys fall out of barrel
I replace all the locks so it only takes one key.Z1 parts inc. as far as the gas cap 1 key fits all good luck finding the roll pin!! Z1 E is the only place Ive found them.

76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

More
07 May 2017 16:11 #761419 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Keys fall out of barrel

martin_csr wrote: Are there a bunch of keys on your motorcycle key chain? You probably need to repair or replace the ignition switch, but in the mean time if the keychain is heavy, try removing all of the other keys & whatnot. If there's only one key, then never mind.

There are two more keys on the keyring, but I tried taking them off and it didn't help. The keys hanging down lean onto the handlebar and actually help it stay in.

9er rider wrote: I replace all the locks so it only takes one key.Z1 parts inc. as far as the gas cap 1 key fits all good luck finding the roll pin!! Z1 E is the only place Ive found them.

This sounds like a good option if I can get it for my bike. I'd prefer to keep the same key for everything (my seat lock and helmet lock still work really well though). My tank lock doesn't work anyway, any key will open it.

Does anybody know what parts are interchangeable from model to model? There doesn't seem to be a set sold for an '81 KZ750 LTD

1981 KZ750 LTD

More
07 May 2017 17:45 #761427 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Keys fall out of barrel

Irish Yobbo wrote: I'm considering making some sort of clip to attach it to the handlebars so it can't come off the bike, but is there any other repair except for getting a new barrel?

That's not a bad idea.
I have the same problem on my KZ, ignition key will come out.
Have lost one already.
I work on locks for a living, and can't repair the KZ locks. Don't have pinning kits for them.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s