Broken gauge bracket

More
13 Sep 2016 16:59 - 13 Sep 2016 17:04 #742115 by SmokyOwl
Broken gauge bracket was created by SmokyOwl
A couple weeks ago I noticed my gauges vibrating much more than usual. Typically I would chalk it up to the bolt on the underside of the gauge(s) to be loose, pull over and tighten them up by hand until I get home with a proper tool. However, this was not the case. After getting home and doing a proper inspection I found my gauge bracket was completely severed in two pieces, next to the attaching bolt. The other side had a similar crack in it, but was only halfway through.

Taking the gauges off and removing their connections that HAD to be put through the middle opening of the bracket, I found the bracket was made of aluminum. Searching online turned up bupkis for a replacement part for me but I got a buddy that can weld it up. From the looks of the location and angle it looked like vibration fatigue of the soft aluminum material.....just the constant stress of vibrations bending the aluminum back and forth until a crack forms. So check out your gauge brackets fellas.

But this leads to my primary question: Should I bolt this (now welded) piece back on....or do I fabricate a new one out of steel? My design would feature a removable piece to allow the wire looms to be removed out of the center opening while retaining structural integrity. However, I am hesitant for the endurance of the gauges vibrating more with the less elastic steel. But if I stick with the aluminum I fear the welds not holding and just forming another crack. Anybody have trouble with gauges failing on a metal gauge bracket? Are gauge brackets typically made of aluminum?

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2016 17:04 by SmokyOwl. Reason: Spelling is stupid and I hate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2016 17:25 - 13 Sep 2016 17:26 #742118 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Broken gauge bracket
Spelling I get, but its the grammer that gets me. :laugh:

Where your bracket split, I took mine and sanded down both ends flat with the bottom surface. Took a piece of 1/8" X 1" flat steel bent 90 degrees to fit snug at the bolt-ends with holes for the bolts. With two button head SS 1/4 X 20 bolts, bolted the gauge bracket to the steel...solid as a rock, and never a problem since. :)

I did collect a couple nice original brackets for replacements, for future use if needed. Pretty-pricey at the time when Kawasaki discontinued them.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 13 Sep 2016 17:26 by daveo. Reason: duh,,.spelling mistake

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Sep 2016 17:35 #742120 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Broken gauge bracket
In 75 when I went down the bracket broke. I was told it was pot metal so it couldn't be welded. I'll bet they just wanted the $150 for a new one. Try it. I do like the other fix though.
Steve

More
15 Sep 2016 18:45 #742417 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic Broken gauge bracket
Well, I got the bracket back, had it powdercoated gloss black too. I've put it on and it steady as a rock. Admittedly I screwed up the lights on the speedometer gauge and had to rearrange them the right way, but now it's done and over with. Pictures to come.

More
15 Sep 2016 21:44 #742427 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic Broken gauge bracket
Pictures! YAY! :woohoo:

Got it back after welding....this was the partial crack that I could still see on one side. It's welded on the other side.

Before and after powdercoating....man I love powdercoating.

And so that's that. Decided against fabbing my own bracket, I have more important problems and projects to deal with right now. I'm just glad to be back on the road.

Attachments: