Non kz engine swaps

More
11 Sep 2016 06:00 #741824 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Non kz engine swaps
This is an interesting thread. I've always wanted to put a vintage Kawasaki engine in a modern better handling frame. A Spondon or Harris frame kit looks great to my eye. Putting a high horsepower engine a weak poor handling vintage frame seems like a big step backwards.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2016 09:28 #741847 by jowek70
Replied by jowek70 on topic Non kz engine swaps

80B4 wrote: This is an interesting thread. I've always wanted to put a vintage Kawasaki engine in a modern better handling frame. A Spondon or Harris frame kit looks great to my eye. Putting a high horsepower engine a weak poor handling vintage frame seems like a big step backwards.

I have 2 ninja liter bikes
One is a 2012 zx10 track bike, if I'm in the mood to go fast and get wild I have options
I like the kz stance and liking from a one off to cruise around on

More
11 Sep 2016 09:28 #741848 by Julian_Boolean
Replied by Julian_Boolean on topic Re:Non kz engine swaps
Depends on what you want, I bought my Z1100R replica because I've liked the way they look since I first saw one in 1983, and found one this year for the right price, I'd like it to ride like a modern bike, but the engine is definitely from 1982, so for me the idea of a modern engined bike that still has the looks on my Z is quite appealing.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
11 Sep 2016 09:41 - 11 Sep 2016 09:43 #741849 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Re:Non kz engine swaps
If you can handle 2 strokes? An automatic drive, no tranny Try a polaris! :laugh: :laugh:
This Guy was in Michigan at US 131 dragway. Ran 10.0's in the 1/4

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Sep 2016 09:43 by z1kzonly. Reason: photo

More
13 Sep 2016 12:52 - 13 Sep 2016 12:53 #742090 by jowek70
I have a carb'd bike and I'm content with just one haha
The idea is to have a fun bike to ride that is 100% unique to me
All the swap parts are fairly straightforward but the engine will likely need some work to fit but I like the R1 cross plane sound and a cart kit for that engine is fairly cheap
It's wild how expensive a titled kz frame is though
Holding out for a barn find
I do have a few solid leads on zx10 front end parts tho and I'm going with the gs swingarm and dual shocks as well
Last edit: 13 Sep 2016 12:53 by jowek70.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
13 Sep 2016 14:05 #742101 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Re:Non kz engine swaps

z1kzonly wrote: If you can handle 2 strokes? An automatic drive, no tranny Try a polaris! :laugh: :laugh:
This Guy was in Michigan at US 131 dragway. Ran 10.0's in the 1/4

Guys up here in the great frozen emptiness run wicked snowmobiles at the 1/4 mile drag strip in summer quite regularly - wheels on the skis and special dry pavement "slick" tracks, some are into the high 8's and low 9's (I believe) - those 800-1000 cc two stroke are putting out some mean power - and sound!

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Sep 2016 19:31 - 13 Sep 2016 19:32 #742138 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Re:Non kz engine swaps
Lancaster, NY 1/8 mile drag strip too!
Bikes & sleds run the same class. There are sleds in the 5's
We still have a few old Kaws here too.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Sep 2016 19:32 by z1kzonly. Reason: photo

More
23 Sep 2016 12:12 #743321 by jowek70
Found my frame
81 kz1000 with forks triples body work and wheels for $100
Looking to sell all but the frame body work and lower triple tree if anybody's interested
They are the mag wheels

More
23 Sep 2016 19:42 #743354 by KZ802
Replied by KZ802 on topic Non kz engine swaps
What you are doing is very interesting and it's cool that you are doing it. I have a few KZ's that I tinker with and I also have a literbike. I have always been intrigued by the deals-and-wheels kits out of Germany for the z1000's and the RF Biketech kits for the ZRX's. I don't really like the idea of them being a kit but you make them your own.... Anyways I am torn between the idea of modern performance and the look and feel of a motorcycle from the 1970's. To me on one side it does seem counterproductive to put a modern motor in an old chassis but on the other hand you are leapfrogging the whole process of making major changes trying to squeeze out just a few more horsepower from a very old engine. But that is just addressing the engine. I guess to me I am more interested in trying to improve the handling and braking deficiencies while still keeping it a KZ. After I finish my KZ's I would love to pick up a modern bike with much more performance that are cheap plentiful and just plain ugly to me, like a z1000 or FZ1 or TL1000, and make a unique retro design like the deals and wheels kit. Sorry I don't mean to ramble while I debate myself, just giving my two cents. That being said I am interested to see what you end up with. Subscribed.

1980 KZ750 LTDx2
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900 A

More
23 Sep 2016 20:39 #743358 by jowek70

KZ802 wrote: What you are doing is very interesting and it's cool that you are doing it. I have a few KZ's that I tinker with and I also have a literbike. I have always been intrigued by the deals-and-wheels kits out of Germany for the z1000's and the RF Biketech kits for the ZRX's. I don't really like the idea of them being a kit but you make them your own.... Anyways I am torn between the idea of modern performance and the look and feel of a motorcycle from the 1970's. To me on one side it does seem counterproductive to put a modern motor in an old chassis but on the other hand you are leapfrogging the whole process of making major changes trying to squeeze out just a few more horsepower from a very old engine. But that is just addressing the engine. I guess to me I am more interested in trying to improve the handling and braking deficiencies while still keeping it a KZ. After I finish my KZ's I would love to pick up a modern bike with much more performance that are cheap plentiful and just plain ugly to me, like a z1000 or FZ1 or TL1000, and make a unique retro design like the deals and wheels kit. Sorry I don't mean to ramble while I debate myself, just giving my two cents. That being said I am interested to see what you end up with. Subscribed.

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it
I love the look of the kz with modern parts on it and putting in a different engine is way more efficient than building a kz engine
My dads doing it now and it's neither cheap nor easy
I love the idea of a retro bike with modern components and honestly my only concern is finding an engine with the character I want
It will be fuel injected and 4 cylinders
That's all I know so far
I'm really excited about this and with the ease of sourcing basically any parts I want I have a feeling this is going to be a lot of fun
I won't have anything in my hands til I meet up with my friend Monday to get the kz frame but I will update this as often as there is progress

More
05 Oct 2016 10:59 #744547 by jowek70
Anybody do an engine from 03-04 z1000?
That seems to be a cheap swap