Lenses for idiot lights

More
06 Sep 2016 17:26 #741320 by Tector
Lenses for idiot lights was created by Tector
For context: on a KZ 1000 Police, at the bottom of the tach, there are 3 idiot lights. From left to right, they are a red one for low "OIL" pressure, a green one to show you when you're in "NEUTRAL", and a yellow one for when the "HAZARD" lights are on.

Bought a KZ 1000 Police recently. The seller had 2 available for sale. On one, the red lens for the OIL light had fallen out of position. On the other, the green lens for the NEUTRAL light had fallen out of position.

So, question: does anyone know how to fish those out and put them back into position? At night, the glare from the bare bulb is a little bothersome; I bought the bike that had the red lens out of position, so it is almost never on, and so it is something I can learn to live with, if fixing it will be prohibitively expensive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Sep 2016 18:10 #741325 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Lenses for idiot lights
A little clear silicone will hold them in. You may have to open it up. Normally they will fall out so they come out when the bulb is removed. If so, a stick with tape sticky side out can be used to put them back in while allowing the silicon to dry overnight.
Steve
kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/599078-tach-speedo-rebuild

More
06 Sep 2016 23:29 #741357 by mslevin
Replied by mslevin on topic Lenses for idiot lights
If you're interested, I can send you some pictures of the back of my tach. I currently have it off the bike and somewhat disassembled, In fact, it might be for sale if I decide to use an aftermarket tach. Let me know!

1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P

More
07 Sep 2016 13:06 #741449 by Tector
Replied by Tector on topic Lenses for idiot lights
mslevin: I'd be glad to see some pictures of the back of your tach. My e-mail address is tector346@gmail.com. And swest, thanks for the info on the tach and speedo rebuild; my local Kawasaki dealer ordered an owner's manual and service manual (and service manual supplement) for me, so I'm hoping that when I get those, I can see how to take these apart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Sep 2016 14:42 - 07 Sep 2016 14:42 #741463 by SWest
That procedure won't be in the manual. They aren't meant to be taken apart.
Steve
Last edit: 07 Sep 2016 14:42 by SWest.

More
07 Sep 2016 16:45 #741474 by Tector
Replied by Tector on topic Lenses for idiot lights
Does the manual show how to change the bulbs for the instrument lights? The speedo and the tach on mine both seem kind of bright at the bottom and dim at the top, and I'm wondering if there are 2 bulbs in each, and one is blown.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Sep 2016 16:52 #741475 by SWest
They are in rubber holders in the back. I used LED bulbs.
Steve

The speedo has "super brights" and the tach blue regular LEDs.
Attachments: