ID these shocks.

More
06 Aug 2016 06:54 #737624 by MadShad
ID these shocks. was created by MadShad
So my 1980 kz1000 G1 blew a rear shock, puddle of fluid, clanking around blown.
I have a set of shocks on my shelf that I thought would fit but the eye in the top mount is too small and the eye on the bottom is too wide.

They came off a kz650 bit they clearly weren't stock kz650 shocks, they made the bike sit super tall and were very stiff. I bought correct used 650 shocks, sold the bike and have these lying around.

Since they won't work for my '80 kz1000 G1 I'd like to sell them, as soon as I figure out what they are.

Top eyelet is 13mm (I need 14), distance from center to center is 13.5 inches.

Post up if these look familiar!

Shelbyville, Indiana. '80 KZ1000
No more of that talk or I'll put the leeches on you, understand?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2016 08:12 - 06 Aug 2016 08:12 #737629 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic ID these shocks.
Have you tried swapping the dampers & bushings?

To sell them you could list the center-to-center measurement & the bushing ID (top & bottom), then let the buyer figure out if they will fit. You might could also list the shock mount ID (dampers removed).
Last edit: 06 Aug 2016 08:12 by martin_csr.

More
06 Aug 2016 08:23 #737630 by MadShad
Replied by MadShad on topic ID these shocks.

martin_csr wrote: Have you tried swapping the dampers & bushings?

To sell them you could list the center-to-center measurement & the bushing ID (top & bottom), then let the buyer figure out if they will fit. You might could also list the shock mount ID (dampers removed).

I think I could swap the top bushings but the old ones are pretty shot and most likley fall apart.
I could order new ones in the correct size I guess.
The lower shock mount is too wide to fit where it needs to and would have to be ground or milled down.
They are in very good shape, way better than most of the used stuff I've been seeing, I'd hate to go grinding on them until Ii know what they are and what they are worth.

More
07 Aug 2016 23:48 - 08 Aug 2016 00:09 #737792 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic ID these shocks.
They look to be made like the S&W Monroe shocks I have. I thought I heard that company was taken over by Progressive. Look for S&W or Monroe stamped into the body. There were probably a lot of similar shocks made like that though, maybe even by Showa. I liked the ones I have, but they are leaking pretty badly now, after 25 years. I think the springs from those (if they are Monroe) might fit 412 Progressive shocks, or at least will be close.

If they are MDI Forza shocks, which also look similar, but the bodies are a smaller diameter, approx 34mm OD, they are probably cheapos and not worth much.

Here's an old thread with some ideas on removing the springs.
kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/495857-coil-s...ssor-tool-any-idea-s
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 00:09 by loudhvx.

More
09 Aug 2016 10:22 #737995 by MadShad
Replied by MadShad on topic ID these shocks.
Thanks for the help guys, whatever brand they are they are made pretty cheap, the areas where the eyelets attach looks pretty flimsy.
I don't think I'll sell them, I'll keep them around incase I find a basketcase that needs them.