So this happened...

More
02 Jun 2016 23:26 #729764 by KawiBunga
So this happened... was created by KawiBunga
So I went to go for a ride last weekend on my 82 KZ750 CSR Twin, came out of the driveway, turned down the road, approached the stop sign, hit the brakes and BAM, Snap, screeech, back wheel locks up. Rear brake pedal was laying on the ground, and I couldn't move the bike. Luckily I wasn't going fast and I was just down the road from my house. I unwound the tangled mess that was the brake rod from the axle and limped it home to find the whole brake hub broke. Don't know what the inside looks like but I'm sure it's not pretty.

So my question is, what do you recommend I do?

I'd like to upgrade to Disc brakes but I really want to keep the spoked wheels, is there a way?

Also will any Spectre parts fit the CSR? Is there any good front brake upgrades available for my ride, rotors, calipers etc. And say if I decided to upgrade the swing arm to accommodate a newer safer braking system, what bikes are good donors without having to chop and weld much?

Thank you for your help, it hurts not to be able to ride right now.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bozo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2016 00:24 #729765 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic So this happened...
That sucks! :blink: :S :unsure:
Can you measure the width of the front of the swingarm?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
03 Jun 2016 03:36 #729768 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic So this happened...
Your oil looks low too

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
03 Jun 2016 04:28 - 03 Jun 2016 06:00 #729771 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic So this happened...
The swing arm adjuster has been moved --- did that happen during the lockup event?

Dual disk Fr Br. converting to a dual disk should be fairly straight forward. the 750-CSR has the same triple tree lower as the 750H models, so you could probably use the forks, wheel, disks & calipers from those models. maybe some stuff from a 750E.
Measure the fork length for comparison beforehand.

Rr disk brake. the rear is going to take some investigation & work, unless someone who's done it chimes in. I would start by measuring the width of the swing arm. and measure the distance between the RH muffler stay mounting bolts. the RH stay on some 80s models has mounting points for some of the rear disk brake stuff.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2016 06:00 by martin_csr.

More
03 Jun 2016 05:18 #729774 by retterath
Replied by retterath on topic So this happened...
I'll bet the lining has separated from the shoes, locking the brake up. The lever falling off though, that's a mystery.

More
03 Jun 2016 05:46 #729779 by KawiBunga
Replied by KawiBunga on topic So this happened...
Lol, the oil is fine, it is on the side stand.

The axle adjuster was damaged during the event as you can see the bolt is bent, I was traveling forward so when everything happened, all the stuff still attached spun around a few times.

The brake lever fell off because it was ripped off when the hub locked up and pulled the rod that was connected to it thus breaking the mount and the shaft that the lever was mounted to. You can see the broken shaft in the pictures in the two pieces on the ground at one point they were connected together through the rear foot rest/muffler mount.

I can measure the swing arm when I get home from work, I really appreciate all the help!

More
03 Jun 2016 06:15 - 03 Jun 2016 06:23 #729785 by martin_csr
I'm wondering if the axle nut was tightened enough. ???
How old are the brake shoes? old old old originals?

I guess the brake locked, then the brake panel broke & since the torque link was no longer connected, the wheel & panel spinned and tore up the brake rod & broke the muffler stay, so the brake pedal just fell onto the ground.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2016 06:23 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jun 2016 06:32 #729791 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic So this happened...
I like my drum brake because it is unaffected by water. The disks have a tendency to lock up too easy. The linings must have separated. You can have tabs welded on your swing arm for the caliper arm or use the one for the brake stay already there.
Steve

More
03 Jun 2016 07:37 #729822 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic So this happened...
I've seen this happen when the axle was nit tightened to the correct spec.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

More
05 Jun 2016 04:40 #730132 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic So this happened...
Woke up thinking about this for some reason... :huh:

How's it going? Have you been able to repair it?
I had the rear brake shoe lining separate on my 440 years ago and locked-up the rear wheel. Luckily, I was only going 5 mph down a dirt road so just skidded to a stop.
Recently I purchased some foot pegs on eBay. They were shipped with their corresponding mounts - both front and rear pegs - but I only needed the actual rubber pegs. I didn't recognize the rear passenger mounts until I saw your photos above. I don't have this model bike though, so if you need those rear parts (the triangular mount with the brake lever hole through it) justs give me a holler. I can send it to you as they're only filling a box here labelled "Um? Nope!". :cheer:

More
05 Jun 2016 05:23 - 05 Jun 2016 05:24 #730134 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic So this happened...
Holy cow! I would thought it would taken more force than just a stuck brake to snap the arm off the brake drum. It seems like if that piece was weak enough to break when the brake stuck it would be weak enough to break if you simply locked up the rear brake. I'm guessing that arm had a problem before this incident. I like my rear disk brake a LOT. Ed

Attachment 00003a-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jun 2016 05:24 by 650ed.

More
05 Jun 2016 05:29 - 05 Jun 2016 05:30 #730135 by martin_csr
It could be that the axle nut wasn't tightened enough, so when he applicd the brake, the wheel shifted & broke the panel, then the rest of the carnage ensued. ???
Last edit: 05 Jun 2016 05:30 by martin_csr.