Custom length Clutch and Throttle cables?

More
28 Apr 2016 06:01 #723405 by Rave71
Just wanted to see if anyone knows where I can find custom length clutch and throttle cables with appropriate connections for a KZ. I had switched to clubman bars shortly after getting the bike which left a ton of slack in both cables, most notably the clutch. They still work so I had kind of thrown it to the back burner. Was thinking of possibly using the steel braided.

The excess cable can be seen here:

Attachment image-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25.jpeg not found

1981 Kz750 ltd
Hudson Valley NY
USMC/OIF Vet
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2016 06:04 #723407 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Custom length Clutch and Throttle cables?
Barnett & MotionPro are a couple of options. or do a google search for custom motorcycle control cables . There are probably some how-to videos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rave71

More
28 Apr 2016 15:56 #723517 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Custom length Clutch and Throttle cables?
GPz cables are shorter and will work with those bars. Kawasaki OEM cables are of superior quality to that of Motion Pro.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rave71

More
07 May 2016 20:09 #725140 by I_Tig_in_piece
Replied by I_Tig_in_piece on topic Custom length Clutch and Throttle cables?
I shortened my throttle cable about 7 inches. The hardest part is turning a new barrel on the lathe then drilling a countersunk hole just big enough for the stock cable to slide through then I use my Tig and build up a ball that's just big enough not to allow it to slide off the new barrel. Done this countless amount of times on cars that my shop would build a custom intake manifold for. Not a huge fan of using the barrels with a tiny ass allen for a set screw. Especially when it's paired to a throttle plate larger than 90mm. with 30lbs of boost zoomin by. That little set screw can ruin a race day..lol

ed

Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

More
08 May 2016 08:26 #725177 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Custom length Clutch and Throttle cables?

I_Tig_in_piece wrote: I shortened my throttle cable about 7 inches. The hardest part is turning a new barrel on the lathe then drilling a countersunk hole just big enough for the stock cable to slide through then I use my Tig and build up a ball that's just big enough not to allow it to slide off the new barrel. Done this countless amount of times on cars that my shop would build a custom intake manifold for. Not a huge fan of using the barrels with a tiny ass allen for a set screw. Especially when it's paired to a throttle plate larger than 90mm. with 30lbs of boost zoomin by. That little set screw can ruin a race day..lol

ed

There are places that can build custom cables. Contact any shop that deals with custom cars or bikes and they wil tell you of the easiest avenues in your area whether it be a local rebuild or ordering something.

There are many ways to skin that cat, it just depends on what equipment and other resources you have access to.

More