after market 40 spoke rims

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Apr 2016 16:43 #719934 by gixxerkidd03
after market 40 spoke rims was created by gixxerkidd03
whats up guys- i have acquired quite the pile of parts for my gsxr front end conversion- i just ordered a front hub to make things a bit easier on me from the guys at cognitomoto.com.

im looking to lace up lighter new rim- im either going to keep the stock wheel size with the 19 up front and 16 rear(in order to get the best geometry i can with the frame im running) - or bring the front down to a 18 ( ill worry about the rear once i figure out if im doing a new swing)

anyone have any good experence companies that make a 19x3.5 alloy rims?
and when a rim is 19x1.85 its not really only 1.85 wide is it ? im confused on that measurement.

cheers ya'll!
eric
81 kz750e

1981 KZ750e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
09 Apr 2016 12:35 - 09 Apr 2016 12:36 #720067 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic after market 40 spoke rims
the measurement is between the bead surfaces. 3.5" seems really wide for a 19" front rim. it will add alot of rotational mass with a big tire to match. Buchanan's does carry a 19x 3.5 though

www.buchananspokes.com/categories/rims_sun.asp
Last edit: 09 Apr 2016 12:36 by DoctoRot.

More
12 Apr 2016 05:16 #720483 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic after market 40 spoke rims
I highly recommend Buchanan's. I have custom drilled Excel hoops for my custom built wheels. I used modified 40
spoke Harley Davidson wheels. They also made my custom HD spokes as well. I went with modern sizes of 17" X 3.5" and a 17" X 5.5" for the rear. Running a 120/70 front and a 180/55 rear tires.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
12 Apr 2016 06:47 #720498 by QCkaw
Replied by QCkaw on topic after market 40 spoke rims
Greetings,

I too am going with the front end GSXR conversion from CognitoMoto. They offer the completely assembled hub/spoke/rim package for this conversion, guaranteed to be compatible. There stuff is definitely pricey, but I'd say its all quality. I'm going 18x2.75 to replace the stock 19" front. That's the same size rim they used on their Fox CB350 build.

I also had CognitoMoto do a new custom Sun rear rim on my stock drum brake hub (with their hub service and anodizing, installed new AB bearing & seal kit while their at it). Its a matching 18x2.75 rim; both front and rear tire diameter is 4.00x18. Remember to confirm that any new tire diameter on the rear will clear your swing arm and tail/fender/license plate or whatever you have back there. But if you're going to a new swing arm then you have lots of options. There are charts out there for recommended tire size to rim size compatibility; check the Avon Tyre website, for example.

And when purchasing stuff from CognitoMoto be certain to select all options you want i.e. additional charge/item for rim color anodizing; speaking from experience on this one :blush: