Duc Sport Classic wheels with modern suspension

More
23 Mar 2016 09:55 #716950 by KZ802
A while ago I came across a great deal on a set of Ducati Sport Classic wheels. I'm finally thinking of doing something with them. They are the stock chrome rims which are quite heavy. I know people have swapped the rims out with Excel rims. Anyone know where to get them? I have not called anyone (Buchanans) I've just looked online(Buchanans, ebay, ducati forum etc.) and haven't seem them listed in the correct sizes. Also my wheels don't have the brake rotors on them or the cush drive-sprocket carrier. From looking at the ducati forum I have seen rotors from different models fit the bolt pattern and have different spacing between the rotors. I have a 2005 zx6 front end on my 1978 kz1000 LTD and 2003 zx6 swingarm. Anyone use this same suspension setup with these wheels? Which brakes did you use? and the cush drive? The ducati forum is mostly people looking to put ohlins and marzochis on their sport classics, not do anything with the stock wheels. And if they were, they were putting alpina rims on them. any help would be appreciated.

1980 KZ750 LTDx2
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900 A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2016 06:57 #717259 by KZ802
bump

1980 KZ750 LTDx2
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900 A

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
29 Mar 2016 10:21 #717999 by DoctoRot
Buchanan's is an Excell dealer so imagine they could probably special order any rim that Excell makes. I find it strange that those wheels don't have a cush drive. It not the end of the world but it will put more strain on your output shaft, perhaps causing premature failure. You're probably the only one on this forum with that suspension/wheel setup, so your gonna have to dive in.

More
29 Mar 2016 15:22 #718057 by KZ802
Thank you for the reply DoctoRot. That's good to know about Buchanan's. I was hoping someone who has used those wheels would reply with some insight into their setup. I'm sure it's my poor writing skills but I was trying to say that those wheels do use a cush drive, I just don't own one yet. I don't own the brake rotors either, and from looking at the ducati forum there are a few different models that will bolt right on. (brakes and cush drives with different widths and spacings) Ducati Sport Classic owners regularly play with different combinations of forks, rotors, wheels, calipers etc. but I could not get anyone on their forum to tell me about the measurements! I also stopped at my local ducati dealer when I was driving by one day and they would not tell me what different models fit, they would only sell me new stuff specifically for those wheels.so, back to the drawing board. I just didn't want to drop a bunch of money on new parts that might not even fit, I wanted to at least make some sort of educated guess.

1980 KZ750 LTDx2
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900 A

More
03 Jun 2016 05:25 #729776 by NakedFun
If you are still in need of information, let me know. I am very familiar with those wheels, the Ducati cush drive method, and Buchanan's.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900