DOT5 Brake Fluid

More
23 Mar 2016 07:23 #716924 by Bowman
DOT5 Brake Fluid was created by Bowman
Can I use DOT5 brake fluid in my old twin? I really like the idea of it not ruining my brand new paint.

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2016 08:00 #716927 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
If you completely re build your system and only use DOT 5. Some bake systems need specific components for it, at least for power bake cars, idk if you could get away with just rebuilt brakes on a cycle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bowman

More
23 Mar 2016 08:22 #716931 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
A full teardown and rebuild will be needed, including replacing the lines.

More
23 Mar 2016 08:48 #716936 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
Unless you are racing, and changing fluid all the time, stick with 3 or 4. They prevent water from collecting by absorbing and dispersing it. Dot 5 allows water to pool because it won't absorb it.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
23 Mar 2016 09:15 #716942 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
I have been using DOT 5 for well over 30 years! For the paint reason.
Yes you have to clean the whole system out first. I never got brakes hot enough to create moisture. Silicone fluid does not absorb moisture.
I have this in my old FLH. (picture) I can take the cap off today and the 16 year old fluid is still purple! NO moisture in there.
Painted the master cyl. with black single tage urethane in 1999. Paint looks like fresh paint as I did it today.
And I am getting back to the Kaw project, I just cleared my glass beaded aluminum., with clear urethane. And when it's put together, I am using DOT 5 also.
BUT! cheap, JUNK "K&L and EMGO" rubber & seal rebuild products suck! Fluid might swell them?
Stick with OEM Kawasaki rubber parts.
I know what I have, and will use it.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

More
23 Mar 2016 12:23 #716969 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
Man, that is one CLEAN Harley!! Very nice! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Mar 2016 12:50 #716973 by Bowman
Replied by Bowman on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
Thanks everybody. Ive got all new s/s lines from Speigler a new aftermarket front master cylinder and rebuilt calipers all around with kits from powerhouse-uk (they claim to be high end, alas Kawasaki no longer makes caliper rebuild kits for my scooter). Now if I can find a rebuild kit or an aftermarket rear master cylinder sounds like DOT5 would be good even though I'm not racing but I want to protect my paint.

Anyone know if a rear m/c from a KZ1000 will work on my 750 B1? They look the same to me and I think I can get a rebuild or aftermarket one for a KZ1000.

79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

More
23 Mar 2016 13:26 #716977 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
You might want to do some reading about DOT 5 to learn about the pros and cons. There are cons. From what I 've heard the lever has a more spongy feel, and any water that enters the system will settle down into your calipers, since they are at the lowest point in the system. The brake fluid may look nice and clean but there could be a collection in the calipers causing corrosion you don't even know about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, 650ed, Bowman

More
23 Mar 2016 13:30 - 23 Mar 2016 13:34 #716978 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid

Bowman wrote: Thanks everybody. Ive got all new s/s lines from Speigler a new aftermarket front master cylinder and rebuilt calipers all around with kits from powerhouse-uk (they claim to be high end, alas Kawasaki no longer makes caliper rebuild kits for my scooter). Now if I can find a rebuild kit or an aftermarket rear master cylinder sounds like DOT5 would be good even though I'm not racing but I want to protect my paint.

Anyone know if a rear m/c from a KZ1000 will work on my 750 B1? They look the same to me and I think I can get a rebuild or aftermarket one for a KZ1000.

No, they have different part #'s, whats wrong with yours? if the bore isn't pitted you can just replace the primary cup & the piston assembly , spring & the boot if it 'has cracks or is ripped & you're good to go, those parts are used on about 30 different masters
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 13:34 by pete greek1.

More
23 Mar 2016 17:25 #717009 by Bowman

Nessism wrote: You might want to do some reading about DOT 5 to learn about the pros and cons. There are cons. From what I 've heard the lever has a more spongy feel, and any water that enters the system will settle down into your calipers, since they are at the lowest point in the system. The brake fluid may look nice and clean but there could be a collection in the calipers causing corrosion you don't even know about.

I'll surely do some more reading before I try it out on the road. The last thing I need is a tombstone saying "He thought it was a good idea to save money or time on his brakes".

79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

More
23 Mar 2016 17:52 #717012 by Bowman

pete greek1 wrote: No, they have different part #'s, whats wrong with yours? if the bore isn't pitted you can just replace the primary cup & the piston assembly , spring & the boot if it 'has cracks or is ripped & you're good to go, those parts are used on about 30 different masters
Pete

Whats wrong with my rear m/c assembly is it was leaking brake fluid on to the swing arm. Not enough to make the brake not work but still, the paint thing. When I look at Partzilla I see the assembly is only good for the 750 B1-B4 and of course they are obsolete anyway. The individual internal bits you mention though are interchangable among models as far as I can see. Ideally I'd just as soon toss the old m/c assembly and buy a new aftermarket one or a NOS from a KZ1000 or a 650 or a 750 four if such a thing could be bolted on.

79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

More
23 Mar 2016 17:53 - 23 Mar 2016 17:55 #717013 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
A lot of bike racers use DOT-5 because it has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 or 4, but that really doesn't make a difference in street use since the brakes aren't being pushed really hard over an extended period. However, racers change their brake fluid very often, so the fact that DOT-5 is not hygroscopic doesn't affect them much at all. Being hygroscopic means water is not absorbed and distributed throughout the brake fluid, but that can be a good or bad thing. Moisture will make its way into the bike's brake system because the brake system is vented to the outside air. With DOT-3 or4 brake fluid that moisture is absorbed by the brake fluid and distributed throughout the fluid. That sounds bad, but it actually can be a blessing in disguise since the moisture doesn't collect in one area. With DOT-5 fluid the moisture is not absorbed or distributed throughout the brake fluid, but like it or not, it still makes its way into the brake system. When that happens, it forms "puddles" of water in the lowest part of the brake system. This isn't necessarily a big deal if you live in an arid climate or if you change the brake fluid on a regular basis, but if you don't live in an arid climate and you neglect changing your brake fluid those puddles can cause corrosion and/or rust in the brake system. Also, NEVER use DOT-5 in a brake system that has ABS as doing so will cause the ABS not to operate properly - see www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/brake_fluids_and_abs . Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 17:55 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, Bowman