DOT5 Brake Fluid

More
23 Mar 2016 19:47 #717045 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
I put dot5 in all my KZs when dot5 was first released, or at least when I first heard of it. Not sure exactly when that was, but would guess mid to late 80s. I did it so no worry of paint removal as most my KZs sit a lot. I did the normal brake fluid change, adding new dot5 while bleeding until for sure all old fluid was gone. I didn't go to any length to be sure to clean out any old fluid other than this method. Well I still have 7 KZs, not to mention a few I've sold and had zero problems. No paint removal, but none have leaked.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2016 11:03 - 24 Mar 2016 11:05 #717126 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
I've also been using DOT 5 for several years and am glad I made the switch. No matter how careful I am, I still end up with Brake fluid on the components. The Z1R's have a unique remote M/C that are notoriously difficult to bleed. The front of my bike wouldn't have any paint if I had used DOT 3.
DOT 5 does not absorb water, and as others have mentioned, this could lead to corrosion in the lowest points. However, I've replaced numerous caliper pistons and pitted M/C's in systems with DOT 3 fluid. DOT 3 fluid may absorb some moisture, but it is not immune to corrosion without regular maintenance and flushing either.
DOT 5 does aerate, trapping tiny air bubbles when shaken. HD uses DOT5 as OEM in some models. They recommend leaving the bottle sit undisturbed overnight before use. Don't bring the bottle home and pour it in. I think this aeration also adds more time to bleeding a DOT 5 system. You could have good solid lever pressure, and come back the next day to a spongy lever, The tiny trapped bubbles form into bigger bubbles and need to be bled again. Plan on repeat bleeding over a few days with DOT 5.
IMO, DOT 5 gives a slightly less firm lever feel and is more prone to leaks than DOT 3. Your brake system needs to be in good condition to use DOT 5. If you've got a marginal seal, you'll find it with DOT 5. Since you basically need to rebuild your system to switch, and are probably going to replace all seals, this shouldn't be an issue.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2016 11:05 by MDZ1rider. Reason: Fix typo

More
24 Mar 2016 21:52 #717231 by car5car
Replied by car5car on topic DOT5 Brake Fluid
As far as I know rubber seals and hoses are different for DOT5 silicon fluid. Harleys were using DOT5 but they don't anymore.
My 99 Harley needed DOT5, later models don't.
DOT4 is less harmful for paint than DOT3, use DOT4

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920