Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes

More
07 Mar 2016 11:14 #714298 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
The Morris Mags on my 76 LTD 900 are lighter than Kawasaki Mags, but not as light as spoke rims
depending on how much I smoked before I picked them up, :whistle: :whistle:
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2016 14:00 #714322 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
Stainless spokes and alloy rims is my pick.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
07 Mar 2016 14:24 #714324 by RODZ
Replied by RODZ on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
Chrome in the summer , spoke aluminum ( painted gold ... ) in winter !
The wheels are too important to have only one set ...

More
08 Mar 2016 06:29 #714443 by toolmaker
Replied by toolmaker on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
I put Lesters on mine back in '77....they never held air and I have to use tubes. ;)

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

More
08 Mar 2016 06:46 #714445 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes

650ed wrote: I like the look of both, but prefer the mags on my bike. The only motorcycle mags I find hideously ugly are the Honda Comstars. They are made of two stamped pieces riveted together, and to me they look like really cheap junk.

When I bought my bike mags were very new to motorcycles, and wire wheels were becoming old technology. Wire wheels are a little lighter than the factory mags, and that's a good thing, but I don't think the weight difference matters at all on a street bike.

On the plus side for mags, they are much easier to keep clean, and they never need adjustment. Having owned both a bike (BSA) and a car (Austin Healey 3000) with wire wheels I found it to be a pain to keep them looking really clean and rust free. So I'm happy to look at wire wheels on someone else's bike while running mags on mine. Ed

Hey Ed
I can not speak to this because I have never ( Knock on Wood!) had a flat while riding, but I have always been told that having a flat while riding on Wire /spoke wheels, the tire will deflate almost instantly VS/ Mag wheel may take a liuttle more time giving the rider the ability to maintain control????? Admittedly, both my '75 Z1B and my Harley have Wire spoked wheels. Hope I never find ou!! ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Mar 2016 07:08 #714447 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
I've had both front and rear. The front starts to feel heavy and unless it's a total blow out, it's controllable. The rear fish tails violently. Imagine slamming down your foot only to have to do it on the other side a few seconds later. Having been through it, you'd think it would've been easier just to let the bike go. No fun.
Steve