Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes

• missionkz
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Mar 2016 12:10 #714143 by missionkz
Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes was created by missionkz
I really used to like the look of the mag wheels and have entertained mounting my LTD wheels on my KZ1000A1.... HOWEVER, after careful consideration.... I have decided I LOVE the look of chrome wheels and spokes much more then mag wheels!!
Discuss ....

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2016 12:29 #714147 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
I like the look of both, but prefer the mags on my bike. The only motorcycle mags I find hideously ugly are the Honda Comstars. They are made of two stamped pieces riveted together, and to me they look like really cheap junk.

When I bought my bike mags were very new to motorcycles, and wire wheels were becoming old technology. Wire wheels are a little lighter than the factory mags, and that's a good thing, but I don't think the weight difference matters at all on a street bike.

On the plus side for mags, they are much easier to keep clean, and they never need adjustment. Having owned both a bike (BSA) and a car (Austin Healey 3000) with wire wheels I found it to be a pain to keep them looking really clean and rust free. So I'm happy to look at wire wheels on someone else's bike while running mags on mine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
More
06 Mar 2016 12:39 #714148 by 9er rider
Replied by 9er rider on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
Every form of refuge has its price. I read in the natl enquirer once and it said if you smoke weed you eat every thing in the house,,,, and causes man boobs .I had some tie stick once and ate so much I couldn't fit in my brazier no more. and they are awful for using as polishing rags. I bought lesters years ago and the maintenance is minimal Plus they ride just fine.

76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

More
06 Mar 2016 12:50 #714149 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
Ill stick with wire wheels myself,unless its something that already has mags that Im just going to sell.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• missionkz
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Mar 2016 12:56 #714150 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes

650ed wrote: I like the look of both, but prefer the mags on my bike. The only motorcycle mags I find hideously ugly are the Honda Comstars. They are made of two stamped pieces riveted together, and to me they look like really cheap junk.

When I bought my bike mags were very new to motorcycles, and wire wheels were becoming old technology. Wire wheels are a little lighter than the factory mags, and that's a good thing, but I don't think the weight difference matters at all on a street bike.

On the plus side for mags, they are much easier to keep clean, and they never need adjustment. Having owned both a bike (BSA) and a car (Austin Healey 3000) with wire wheels I found it to be a pain to keep them looking really clean and rust free. So I'm happy to look at wire wheels on someone else's bike while running mags on mine. Ed

Well, to be honest the only bike I've owned with mag wheels, other then my KZ LTD, is my old Yamaha Daytona 400F.... which I liked quite a bit.
But I'm really liking the look of some of the customs I've seen lately with big chrome spoke wheels. So the mag wheels will stay off.
And yes I've had a fair number of Brit bikes and my college buddy drove a AH 3000 for quite a while and ended up building a frame for it an putting a Pontiac V8 in the damn thing!!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
06 Mar 2016 13:38 #714153 by carwash
Replied by carwash on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
I thought part of the appeal of mags was that they were lighter? Pretty sure the Honda ComStars are lighter than spokes, is that not the case with Lesters? Regardless, I love the mags on my KZ550, going to love them more once I get them powder coated solid black.

650ed wrote: I like the look of both, but prefer the mags on my bike. The only motorcycle mags I find hideously ugly are the Honda Comstars. They are made of two stamped pieces riveted together, and to me they look like really cheap junk.

1980 KZ550A
1980 CB750F

More
06 Mar 2016 14:18 #714161 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
Comstars may be lighter than spokes because they are made from stamped out sheet metal pieces. Kaw mags are a little bit heavier than spokes because they are cast alloy. I believe the same is true of other cast wheels such as Lesters, although true magnesium wheels are somewhat lighter. However, true magnesium wheels are not a very good choice for street bikes because they can crack easier than alloy wheels. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Mar 2016 17:32 #714193 by Kapahulu
Replied by Kapahulu on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes

9er rider wrote: Every form of refuge has its price. I read in the natl enquirer once and it said if you smoke weed you eat every thing in the house,,,, and causes man boobs .I had some tie stick once and ate so much I couldn't fit in my brazier no more. and they are awful for using as polishing rags. I bought lesters years ago and the maintenance is minimal Plus they ride just fine.

9er you're cracking me up!

I think you meant thai stick!

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

More
06 Mar 2016 17:45 - 06 Mar 2016 17:46 #714195 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
I have mag wheels on my KZ1000A2, chrome and spoke wheels on my KZ650B1, both appeal to me in different ways. My KZ1000 had had Lester Mags fitted, when I got it, but unfortunately a PO decided a 16" rear was the way to go. I converted back to the Enkei style Mags and an 18" rear. Of the two, I currently prefer the look of the Mags and they are much more functional in terms of cleaning etc. To my eyes the Mags look really good on the KZ1000A giving it a sportier look. On the other hand I also have a 73 Triumph and hate the look of the Mags they put on the late model ones of those. So it's all very subjective, go with what you like and to heck with what anyone else thinks. The real benefit to Mags IMO is if they are the type that can run tubeless tires because there are safety benefits and the possibility to put a plug in a tire, re inflate and be on your way if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere. I'm 50% of the way running a rear Police wheel, but there aren't too many legitimate tubeless alloys out there from the period Kawasaki parts bin.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care
Last edit: 06 Mar 2016 17:46 by redhawk4.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
07 Mar 2016 04:18 #714228 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes

9er rider wrote: Every form of refuge has its price. I read in the natl enquirer once and it said if you smoke weed you eat every thing in the house,,,, and causes man boobs .I had some tie stick once and ate so much I couldn't fit in my brazier no more. and they are awful for using as polishing rags. I bought lesters years ago and the maintenance is minimal Plus they ride just fine.

I think 9er rider may have listened to Elvin Bishop back in the day ;)

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
07 Mar 2016 07:09 - 07 Mar 2016 07:09 #714244 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
I was going to try my hand at re-lacing the stock wheels, but ss spoke sets were going to be $100+ per wheel or something like that, so I eebbaayyed a set of 550 wheel instead. both wheels w Fr disk. $40 shipped. plus wheel bearing kits & a can of engine paint.

PS: Does anyone know what plating the stock spokes had (zinc?) or know anything about cadmium plated spokes? Thanks.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2016 07:09 by martin_csr.

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
More
07 Mar 2016 07:17 - 07 Mar 2016 07:34 #714248 by 9er rider
Replied by 9er rider on topic Painted Mag wheels vs Chrome and Spokes
Ha!! Nailed it!! south lake tahoe back in the 60s He used to be there all the time. We used to go and see him at lill Nels $2.50 a night and I have considered a double "D" cup for applicator, wax on wax off.

76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd
Last edit: 07 Mar 2016 07:34 by 9er rider.