• JENKFITLIFE02
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • No Regrets
More
17 Feb 2016 12:46 #711116 by JENKFITLIFE02
Rear Brake lockup was created by JENKFITLIFE02
:(
So I took my new bike out for a little yesterday and noticed when shifting the back brake was locking up in low gear. The rear brake pedal is super super tight with no give. I put it in neutral to put it away and still locked up. I turned it off and on and it loosened. I dont know whats going on as the sprockets and pads as well as rear tire are new. I am going to the mechanic saturday I hope its nothing nuts...he said sounds like a quick adjustment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Feb 2016 12:53 #711117 by SWest

• JENKFITLIFE02
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • No Regrets
More
17 Feb 2016 13:04 #711118 by JENKFITLIFE02
Replied by JENKFITLIFE02 on topic Rear Brake lockup
Yea I have a clymer manual but I dont wanna mess w the brakes I found a good local mechanic to look at it this weekend.

More
17 Feb 2016 13:19 #711122 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Rear Brake lockup
Pull the brake pedal off then clean/lube the pivot to see if it helps. ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
18 Feb 2016 07:29 #711272 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic Rear Brake lockup
You don't mention the year or model. Disk brakes or drum on the rear?

If disk:

If you loosen the rear bleeder screw and the brakes free up then the return or "spooge" hole in the Master Cylinder is plugged. There are at least two ways to clean that hole, which is very very tiny. The first method I use is the easy cheap way. Remove the caliper, leaving all lines etc hooked up, from the mount. Pull the brake pads out. Use a large C clamp to try to compress the piston back into the caliper body. It should move smoothly with just normal hydraulic pressure. If the spooge hole is plugged, you will be met with a lot of resistance compressing the piston. If so try harder pressure. It also helps to pump the brake pedal a few times to expand the piston, then push it back in with the C clamp. Do that a few times until the piston compresses smoothly.

The other method, or ,more proper way, is to remove the MC, take it apart and clean it using a #80 drill bit or a #10 guitar string to clean the two holes in the MC between the pump and reservoir.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

More
18 Feb 2016 08:02 #711280 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Rear Brake lockup
If its a drum Martin on here has said his glue gave way and the pad came off and jammed up...... might replace mine the next time I remove the wheel..... and check and see if the petal return spring is on there and working.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• JENKFITLIFE02
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • No Regrets
More
18 Feb 2016 08:13 #711282 by JENKFITLIFE02
The back tire, brake pads, chain, and sprocket were just put on a month ago i have all the sales receipts and what not. Its ride able just when i slow to a stop it jams up. That all sounds too technical for me lol Im gonna let a pro fix it. Its a 1980 KZ750e

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Feb 2016 08:23 #711284 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Rear Brake lockup
Learning to work on a 30 year old bike is a MUST. Besides, it's a good feeling knowing what you have between your legs.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650, PLUMMEN

More
19 Feb 2016 06:40 #711440 by Rave71
Replied by Rave71 on topic Rear Brake lockup
I had this same issue, whenever I stepped on the brakes I would have to lift the pedal back up with my toe and it continued to get worse. I needed new pads anyway and I figured a bleed couldn't hurt so I assumed the worst and purchased the master cylinder rebuild kit and prepared myself for a days worth of work. As soon as I disconncected the the pedal and bracket and removed it I expected it to pivot freely but it was locked in place! I "gently" beat the pedal out of the bracket, cleaned it all up and applied a good coat of never seize to the pivot point. Threw it all back together and it worked like a charm, took about an hour and required nothing but a wire brush, rubber mallet and the never seize.

1981 Kz750 ltd
Hudson Valley NY
USMC/OIF Vet

• JENKFITLIFE02
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • No Regrets
More
19 Feb 2016 07:22 #711452 by JENKFITLIFE02
Thats awesome what a relief I bet. I dont feel comfortable doing all that I have an appt with a local older mechanic he deals with older bikes and is only $40 an hour. He told me it would be less than hour so it should be cool by tomm afternoon. Finally gonna be 58 degrees thats a riding day!

• JENKFITLIFE02
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • No Regrets
More
22 Feb 2016 06:35 #711930 by JENKFITLIFE02
Got the bike looked at, oil had gunked up in the pedal making it impossible to move. Just a quick clean up and its like new. Tightened a few things and adjusted my carbs bike is perfect!

More
22 Feb 2016 08:28 #711961 by Rave71
Replied by Rave71 on topic Rear Brake lockup
Awesome quick fix... Sounds like we had the same problem after all. Happy riding!

1981 Kz750 ltd
Hudson Valley NY
USMC/OIF Vet