stainless vs zinc-plated replacement cover bolts

More
30 Nov 2015 08:35 #701220 by aenikolopov
Among other things, I'm replacing screws holding on the covers on my kz650 with socket cap head screws. I'm trying to figure out what kind of steel to use. Many sellers (z1, ebay sellers) use stainless, which makes sense given that these are going to be exposed to the elements. Then, I came across a forum post (see post 4 at www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=113232 ) that said stainless bolts in aluminum are prone to seize, and to use zinc-plated ones. Presumably this is due to galvanic corrosion. Should I really be buying zinc-plated bolts then?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Nov 2015 08:51 #701222 by Nessism
If you use anti-seize paste on the stainless threads and you shouldn't have issues. Personally though, I'm not a huge fan of stainless hardware, although I 'm using such on some of my engine covers because they seem like the only readily available option.

Given my druthers I'd rather use zinc plated screws with a small hex head. Some of the bike manufacturers moved to these when phillips heads went out of fashion. If anyone has a link to a source please post it up.

More
30 Nov 2015 08:52 - 30 Nov 2015 08:52 #701223 by Rustyhama
Stainless is fine. There is a special type of oil you should put on them before you insert them. Anti-galling lubricant, mine is called AG-90, just a drop on each one...

Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0
Last edit: 30 Nov 2015 08:52 by Rustyhama.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Nov 2015 09:00 #701226 by SWest

More
30 Nov 2015 09:01 - 30 Nov 2015 09:07 #701227 by aenikolopov
Replied by aenikolopov on topic stainless vs zinc-plated replacement cover bolts

Nessism wrote: If you use anti-seize paste on the stainless threads and you shouldn't have issues. Personally though, I'm not a huge fan of stainless hardware, although I 'm using such on some of my engine covers because they seem like the only readily available option.

Given my druthers I'd rather use zinc plated screws with a small hex head. Some of the bike manufacturers moved to these when phillips heads went out of fashion. If anyone has a link to a source please post it up.

This should do, no? Fastenal: Zinc finish Steel Metric Socket Cap Head screws

They also have button cap hex and low-profile hex sockets. www.fastenal.com/products/fasteners/sock...00039%20Sockets%22|~
The low profile sockets don't come available with a zinc finish, but the button cap hex ones do.

EDIT: Just reread your post, it seems like you weren't talking about hex socket heads, but rather hex heads. You mean something other than just a hex bolt?
Last edit: 30 Nov 2015 09:07 by aenikolopov.