Soft front brakes

More
02 Oct 2015 03:57 #692941 by JaFlo
Soft front brakes was created by JaFlo
82 750ltd - this bike has the twin front rotor setup. I fitted a master cylinder from a 94 ninja after putting shorter, lower bars on as the ltd master would not fit right. The ninja master is 5/8. I was expecting the lever to be a little stiff with the larger bore master, but it's opposite. The front brakes do work, but engagement doesn't occur until the lever is close to the grip. It feels like air in the system, but I have bled about a quart of fluid out of the calipers. Any ideas/suggestions? Should I rebuild the ninja master cylinder or look for a smaller bore master?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2015 04:35 #692955 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Soft front brakes
5/8" is the correct bore for dual disks; I definitely would not try a smaller bore master cylinder. You probably still have air in the lines. Some folks have had luck getting air out of the lines by strapping the brake lever as close to the grip as possible and letting it sit that way overnight. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
02 Oct 2015 04:37 #692957 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Soft front brakes

650ed wrote: 5/8" is the correct bore for dual disks; I definitely would not try a smaller bore master cylinder. You probably still have air in the lines. Some folks have had luck getting air out of the lines by strapping the brake lever as close to the grip as possible and letting it sit that way overnight. Ed

I can second that. It has worked for me before.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Oct 2015 04:44 #692962 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Soft front brakes
Watch your brake lines and see if they bulge. Also you may have to clean out the M/C . There might be some crud in there.
Steve

More
02 Oct 2015 05:01 - 02 Oct 2015 05:02 #692967 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Soft front brakes
If your bike still has the stock rubber brake lines you should consider updating them. For one thing they are 33 year old rubber parts with all that goes with that, AND unless the brake fluid has been changed every couple years during those years there will be some scale/grunge buildup on the inside of the line which will contaminate your brake system.

Strapping the brake lever back to the grip may help, but not so much to help bleed the system, rather the constant pressure will encourage your caliper pistons to move closer to the disc.

And speaking of calipers, if they have never been cleaned out now is a good time. Use compressed air to pop the pistons out so you can clean out the grunge. Like the brake line there is very likely some sludge build up inside the caliper. Flushing the fluid doesn't dispel this crap. You need to tear down the system to do that.

[IMG
Last edit: 02 Oct 2015 05:02 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

More
02 Oct 2015 06:55 #692986 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Soft front brakes
If the lever itself is bent slightly or its travel is limited in some way you could replace every other part of the system and still have soft brakes. A new lever is about $10. Something to consider before spending $$$ on new lines.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
02 Oct 2015 08:16 #692996 by JaFlo
Replied by JaFlo on topic Soft front brakes
The fluid was really bad. I do plan on getting braided hoses and caliper rebuild kits soon. I suppose I just wanted to make sure the new master was going to be compatible before i went any further. Im going to try doing a vacuum bleed to see if that makes a difference, and try the lever zip tied to the grip trick.

More
02 Oct 2015 09:16 #693000 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Soft front brakes

JaFlo wrote: The fluid was really bad. I do plan on getting braided hoses and caliper rebuild kits soon. I suppose I just wanted to make sure the new master was going to be compatible before i went any further. Im going to try doing a vacuum bleed to see if that makes a difference, and try the lever zip tied to the grip trick.

This is probably what should be my next project after my lazy rear gets the motor back in from the starter clutch fix...... had the braided lines all picked out and the caliber, fluid and master cylinder kits bought so I'm mostly ready just need to get it done.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.