Rear shock - your thoughts?

More
20 Jun 2015 16:30 #677500 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rear shock - your thoughts?

missionkz wrote: Unless some of you riders are semi-pro, I'd bet 95% of us couldn't ride the bike fast enough with two "out of the box", stock Hi-Po S&Ws or Boge-Mullholand shocks to really tax them, let alone a pair of Ohlins or a race setup mono-shock. ;)

+1

I used S&W shocks for years and even though I thought I rode hard; used PZ2 racing compound Michelin tires; had no chicken strips; and scraped some hard parts; I never taxed those shocks. My Hagons work as well too.

No offense intended to anyone, but if one considers that all the superbike racers used twin shocks on the KZ and other bikes of the time, or that the guys who rode KZ650's around Daytona at an average speed of 130 mph for 100 miles and 118 mph for 1,000 miles used S&W twin shocks; it seems outside the realm of possibility that modern, high quality twin shocks would not suffice for anyone on this website. If anyone rides harder than those folks; please post the videos. :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz, SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2015 19:50 #677506 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Rear shock - your thoughts?
If you already have the 98 shock, have it revalved and resprung for your application. Race-Tech sells the parts and services you need.
I have modern sportbikes and when I ride a vintage bike like one of my Kawasaki's I slow way down. Back in the day racers used S&W shocks because that is all they had. Vintage shocks are very primative,

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

More
20 Jun 2015 19:57 #677509 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Rear shock - your thoughts?

davido wrote: Big money though.

Probably not much more than buying the single shock setup, fabricating the mount, and rebuilding the pooped out mono shock .

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• monkeydoodle
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2015 00:38 #677537 by monkeydoodle
Replied by monkeydoodle on topic Rear shock - your thoughts?
OK not too sure where I have stated that I want to change up because I'm a superior rider? I think Missionkz got that ball rolling. What I'm asking is that the 98 shock from what I have read on ZX forums was known to be basically pretty crap compared to the later shocks, so rather than refurbing it I wondered if I may aswell go for something a bit better whilst I'm at this stage with the project.

Custom Harley Chop
2004 Fazer 1000 with Ivans Full Monty kit
1980 Z750E (half way being re-born into a mix breed something)

More
21 Jun 2015 05:29 #677543 by TexasKZ
It is interesting how these threads sometimes swerve off the path, into the weeds........ :whistle:

More
21 Jun 2015 05:32 #677544 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Rear shock - your thoughts?
Like a Kawasaki with dodgy shock mounts??!!

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
21 Jun 2015 05:37 #677547 by TexasKZ
:pinch:

More
21 Jun 2015 05:45 #677549 by TexasKZ
As long as you are looking for a better used shock, I'd be inclined to get one that came on a bike that weighs about the same as your KZ. I would also be inclined to rebuild it, or have it rebuilt, unless I was completely sure that it came off of a very low mileage bike not owned by a stunt boy. Even then, I'd change the oil.

More
21 Jun 2015 06:17 #677556 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rear shock - your thoughts?

monkeydoodle wrote: OK not too sure where I have stated that I want to change up because I'm a superior rider? I think Missionkz got that ball rolling. What I'm asking is that the 98 shock from what I have read on ZX forums was known to be basically pretty crap compared to the later shocks, so rather than refurbing it I wondered if I may aswell go for something a bit better whilst I'm at this stage with the project.

Sorry if I was off topic.

You mentioned "I know that the 98 shock will more than likely give a better ride and handling than the aftermarket twin shocks that came with the project but is it worth spending more money on the rear shock and will I realistically notice any differences as in truth the chassis itself isn't cutting edge by today's standards"

You seemed concerned about handling. My reply was meant to illustrate the idea that using modern, high quality twin shocks would provide more than adequate handling for the street; in fact, probably better handling than retrofitting a monoshock and hoping to get the geometry and stiffness of the home made shock mounts right. In other words, rather than trying to modify things for a monoshock and run the risk of not ending up with perfect shock mount geometry, installing quality twin shocks should serve as an excellent replacement for the twin shocks that came with the bike and provide all the handling you would ever need. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Jun 2015 06:29 #677561 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Rear shock - your thoughts?
It's not a stock swing arm. That has to be addressed anyway.
Steve

• monkeydoodle
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2015 06:37 #677564 by monkeydoodle
Hi Ed,

no worries and no need to apologise. If you saw the twin shocks I currently have then I have a feeling you would possibly advise me to upgrade either to a better mono or even twin set up as they are pretty much a budget set up and very basic. I have had a bike with Ohlin twin shocks and I know out of the box they are a completely different animal to the basics that I have and regardless of rider ability a notice in feel and handling would be felt.

I have fitted a ZX7R USD front and in truth I want a better rear end shock - if I can get away with installing a monoshock without too much fabbing then that is the route that I will go, if not I will stick to the twin and because of the build itself being open to pretty much what I want. I would still prefer to have a high end twin shock set up as aesthetically as I still want the bike to look good.

I think the problem with posting on forums and not speaking face to face loses a lot in translation so to speak and folk can sometimes mis-interpret what a poster is trying to portray?

Custom Harley Chop

• monkeydoodle
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2015 06:44 #677566 by monkeydoodle

TexasKZ wrote: As long as you are looking for a better used shock, I'd be inclined to get one that came on a bike that weighs about the same as your KZ. I would also be inclined to rebuild it, or have it rebuilt, unless I was completely sure that it came off of a very low mileage bike not owned by a stunt boy. Even then, I'd change the oil.

yup I totally agree, I have a Fazer 1000 and they were known to have a pretty crap rear shock and gave a so-called armchair feel and not much feedback unless you pottered around at low speeds and didn't ask too much from the bike, luckily there was a member on the owners club that had access to R6 shocks that were re-built for the BSB boys, anyway he used to sell them to the members and the transformation was night and day - also you knew that even though the unit was second hand it had been re-worked and re-built properly, the plus point was that you were not paying prices for a brand new unit, I may have to start looking at measurments and fitting to see if this could be a possibility :woohoo:

Custom Harley Chop