• Page:

TOPIC:

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 07 Jul 2006 00:30 #59842

• savedrider
  • savedrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
The book has a step to remove the front wheel first before replacing front brake pads. Is this necessary? Can't I just whip the caliper off without pulling the front wheel? I've got dual discs if it makes any difference.

Thanks
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 07 Jul 2006 06:40 #59881

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I was just thinking the same thing. Mine just started making noise and I HATE that. But then again the pads have been on since 1982 :whistle: That's when the PO put them on. And then parked it in the barn the next 17 years before I got it.
What brand are you going with??
Pat
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 07 Jul 2006 08:21 #59907

• wireman
  • Visitor
just unbolt your calipers.;)

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 07 Jul 2006 09:03 #59930

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Hi Pat - mine are probably originals too. I checked them for wear and the piston side pads are well past the wear mark. It's something I put off for a long time because pulling the front wheel is such a pain. I'm going with EBC pads. I can get them locally at a good price which means I can get the job done this weekend. Book also says to only use organic pads NOT sintered for the early model disc brakes like we have. Using sintered can cause overheating and brake failure (just a fyi).

Take a flashlight and look down inside in calipers at the pads. There should be a red or green line/groove around the circumfrence of the pad. This is the wear indicator. If the line on either pad is touching the rotor it's time for a change. Change both pads at the same time. The piston side will normally wear much faster than the inboard side.

Thanks wireman! B)

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 07 Jul 2006 09:56 #59951

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
No reason in this world to remove the wheel, the calipers come right off after removing the bolts. Good luck on your EBC pads. I think you'll have to invest in a set of ear plugs.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 07 Jul 2006 11:34 #59980

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Thanks for the encouragement Ron...I think... :P

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 07 Jul 2006 13:18 #60011

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
RonKZ650 wrote:

No reason in this world to remove the wheel, the calipers come right off after removing the bolts. Good luck on your EBC pads. I think you'll have to invest in a set of ear plugs.

Do you have a better supplier???
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 07 Jul 2006 15:11 #60042

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
The pads Jeff carries are Vesrah brand...I figured organic is organic, but what do I know.

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 07 Jul 2006 17:32 #60062

• RonKZ650
  • User
patmann wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote:

Do you have a better supplier???

It may just be me being unlucky, normally having high mileage bikes ect, I don't know, but I wasted so much $$$$ trying to make different pad sets work including Vesrah, EBC and Ferodo. They just flat won't work on a KZ. Like I said, maybe just me. I tried all the usual remedies including auto pad goop to supposedly quiet down noise, sanding the pads, sanding the rotors, slotting the pads. Nothing worked at all. Sometimes the brakes may be quiet for a couple days after fooling with them, but the noise always returned. I'm not talking a little squeel either, I'm talking a shrill ear wretching 100db scream that send pedestrians jumping for cover at 100 yds away. On newer stuff like the GPZ series I had no problems, but on older KZ all were a no-go. I just bite the bullet and buy pads through Kawasaki, watch ebay for nos parts, or take used pads out of junked bikes. To be perfectly honest I did have one set of Vesra's that worked real good but wore out in 1/3 the miles of a stock pad set. That was my first set of aftermarket pads. After that no luck whatsoever. I tried the same pads in different KZ650s, in my old H2 too and they squeeled in all the bikes the exact same level.

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 07 Jul 2006 17:35 #60063

• RonKZ650
  • User
I guess I should add this was many years ago, so my experience may not apply. I'm sure government regulations on pad material as well as laws restricting the maximum noise levels may have made the pads different now.

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 08 Jul 2006 15:51 #60286

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Well I guess I won't be needing those EBC pads so soon after all. I bought them yesterday and pulled a caliper today to find out the outer pad still had meat on it. It's just hard to see the wear indicator on the outer pad when they are still installed.

Oh, and I need to retract my statement about the outer pads wearing quicker than the inner. Wear was pretty much even.

I swear I'm such a knucklehead sometimes. :whistle:

Remove front wheel to change brake pads? 08 Jul 2006 16:48 #60290

• wireman
  • Visitor
as long as the sliders are working on calipers the wear should be pretty even.;)

• Page: