Strengthening chassis

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Apr 2015 22:17 - 23 Apr 2015 00:01 #669232 by TheForumTroll
Strengthening chassis was created by TheForumTroll
After looking at the amazing work of Leon in another thread I have been thinking about doing some stuff myself. Have anyone strengthened the chassis on a stock bike? If so, any info would be great.

Strengthening the swingarm, is there a difference between a upper and lower brace, except looks and room?

Edit: I don't know why it didn't turn up in a forum search, but I found the big bracing tread via Google. I don't think I'll need more info than that :woohoo:

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-
Last edit: 23 Apr 2015 00:01 by TheForumTroll.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2015 09:28 #669279 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Strengthening chassis
That all depends on what bike your talking about. The early Z!'s and KZ's had frames that would twist when pushed hard the later ones did not. For example I built an ELR clone based on a 82 GPZ750 frame and body work. I installed a modded 82 GPZ1100 engine. I did not strengthen the frame and it handles the huge power increase easily.
An upper brace on a swingarm is more difficult due to clearance issues. Most people add the brace to the bottom of the S/A.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
23 Apr 2015 15:52 - 23 Apr 2015 15:53 #669321 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Strengthening chassis

TheForumTroll wrote: Edit: I don't know why it didn't turn up in a forum search, but I found the big bracing tread via Google. I don't think I'll need more info than that :woohoo:

The search bar defaults to search for post within 1 year, if you go to "advanced search" under post date put "any"

A little bracing never hurts, and if you have the tools and experience it costs very little. plus it looks cool.
Here is a thread with loads of ideas. > kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 23 Apr 2015 15:53 by DoctoRot.