Rear Wheel Drag ?

More
27 Mar 2015 12:39 #665419 by daless
Replied by daless on topic Rear Wheel Drag ?
Are you using the regular spoke rear hub for A1 model? I'm using a mag wheel from a B1 and last summer I ran into a similar issue while reinstalling the rear wheel.

I thought I was following the diagram for the B1 wheel correctly, but since the mag wheel is a bit different than the original hub, it was pressing the brake rotor up against the right side of the fixed A1 caliper. I had to change the positioning of the 4mm thick spacer, part # 92022-248 so that it shimmed the wheel to the left the perfect amount to land the rotor right in the middle of the caliper. The PO had done this, but I didn't notice and mixed up the parts thinking I could just look at a standard diagram for reassembly.

'77 KZ1000A1 - Mikuni VM29s, Kerker 4-1, K&N pods, LTD mags, Z2 seat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Mar 2015 12:50 #665421 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Rear Wheel Drag ?
Sounds to me like the caliper isn't floating like it should. Stuck pins or a slave not moving in all the way.
Steve

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
28 Mar 2015 04:17 #665486 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Rear Wheel Drag ?
Guys, Sorry to get back to you late. One the site was down and second, been working a lot of hours.

Here's what I found. Originally thought that the rear LTD drilled rotor I was installing in the Back was the same as my Sock solid rear rotor off my 77' KZ1000A, But it was not? I was almost 100 % sure I had all the right spacers and collars installed correctly, so I pulled off the Rotor and found that it was almost 3 mm Shorter in Height the the stock solid one. That's why this LTD rotor was rubbing on the inside of caliper and the wheel wouldn't turn after tightening down the axle nut.

Ended up spacing the LTD rotor off the wheel Hub with 2 hardened washers ( 2mm and 1 mm stacked ) and re-installed the rotor. Now it tracked in the Center of the caliper and Axle nut could be tightened down correctly. Re-installed Brake pads and bled, Everything Works Great !!!

Wow, what a Learning Curve. But " Big Thank You's " to Everyone Again for helping me thru this delema :) :) :)

77' KZ1000A

More
28 Mar 2015 05:55 #665488 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rear Wheel Drag ?
Did someone fail to mention they were not using the stock parts? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Glad to see you solved the problem. :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)