Chain Side Plate Removal?

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
10 Feb 2015 19:16 #661195 by kzdcw
Chain Side Plate Removal? was created by kzdcw
Trying to replace my chain on my 77' KZ1000A that I have been working on for a while. The chain is a C-clip style Master Link . The C-clip came off easy but can't seem to pry off the side plate? I have the drive chain adjusted forward with the most slack I can get. The chain is a little short but still have about an inch of play. Any ideas how to get the side plate off or master link out? I tried to get a small screw driver behind side plate and walk it off but unable too. Also tried to grab side plate with pliers and wiggle it off, not working or even moving the plate? Any tips will be greatly appreciated as always !!!

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Feb 2015 19:38 #661204 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Chain Side Plate Removal?
The master links are simi pressed in now days. Good idea but a pain in the ass to put on or off. You can try prying it off while it is on the rear sprocket. If you want to replace it you can grind it off. A chain breaker is better if you can get one. What size chain is it? 630? They can be hard to get.
Steve

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
10 Feb 2015 19:48 - 10 Feb 2015 19:50 #661207 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Chain Side Plate Removal?
It's a 630 chain. How would a chain breaker work to remove the link or side plate? The end of the pins of the master link are not rolled to prevent the side plate from removing. It just doesn't seem to want to budge?

77' KZ1000A
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 19:50 by kzdcw.

More
10 Feb 2015 19:52 - 10 Feb 2015 20:19 #661208 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Chain Side Plate Removal?
I know exactly what you mean
I have had the same problem and used an old style chain breaker to press out the pins on either end of the link

[strike]My suggestion would be to modify a C clamp by sticking a small socket on the fixed end and pull the circular thingy off the end of the threaded part leaving the ball exposed.
Place the fixed end with the socket behind the chain - open end of the socket around the pin -and screw the ball end of the threaded part down on the pin facing you. This should push the pin back and out. Do a bit on one pin and then the other.
Difficult to describe. If necessary I can rig something up and take a pic
I used a C clamp like this in revers to get a master link and plate on instead of off by placing the socket on the threaded end
Good luck[/strike]

Edit -wont work

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 20:19 by JR. Reason: see my post below

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
10 Feb 2015 20:01 #661209 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Chain Side Plate Removal?
If your able to take a Picture JR that would be appreciated. I'm trying to get a visual of this but having a little difficulty.

77' KZ1000A

More
10 Feb 2015 20:04 #661210 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Re:Chain Side Plate Removal?
If it's not an o-ring chain, you could try and use a larger flat-head screwdriver as a wedge. Keep the chain on the rear sprocket and tap the end of the screwdriver to pop off the link.

That's what I do when taking off old chains.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
10 Feb 2015 20:18 #661212 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Chain Side Plate Removal?

kzdcw wrote: If your able to take a Picture JR that would be appreciated. I'm trying to get a visual of this but having a little difficulty.

My apologies. kzdcw
When I laid it out with an old master link I found my suggestion wont work as the pins are fixed to the backing plate.
Sorry again
Dougs suggestion is better

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
10 Feb 2015 20:20 #661213 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Re:Chain Side Plate Removal?
Doug, The Side plate with the removable master link says RS60 with an F under it . The chain links side plates say 630 with an OR under it. So is it an O-ring chain? The removable master link has 2 pins permanently attached to it which is the inside plate. The side plate of the side facing out is the plate that is removable, so I don't think that JR's method of the C-clamp would work?

77' KZ1000A

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
10 Feb 2015 20:23 #661214 by kzdcw
Thanks JR for trying though. Looks like we were trying to post about the same time.

77' KZ1000A

More
10 Feb 2015 20:26 #661215 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Re:Chain Side Plate Removal?
It's probably oring, but not hard to tell. Oring chains are quite a bit wider than non orings, as the orings are there to seal and easily seen by eye. Easiest way to replace a chain is use bolt cutter and cut the chain. No use being gentle to that worn out chain.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
10 Feb 2015 20:29 #661216 by kzdcw
You might be right Ron. Didn't have any bolt cutters and thought the side plate and master link would be relatively easy to remove?

77' KZ1000A

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Feb 2015 21:06 #661218 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:Chain Side Plate Removal?
I've done some brutal things to a chain in my terrible twenties. If it's worn out, take a large flat screw driver and use it as a chisel with a hammer to pry it off. It will come off. You might destroy the driver doing it but so what?
Steve