Fork Seals.. Has anyone tried this?

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jan 2015 16:42 #659738 by LuckyLucOnBass
Fork Seals.. Has anyone tried this? was created by LuckyLucOnBass
www.sealmate.net/

I'm getting my bike back to riding form. Needing to replace the fork seals, which will be a learning process. I was searching for videos and tips & tricks online. Came across this.

Any users?

LH

bass player, bike rider, hockey fan.
1983 KZ550 M1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2015 17:52 #659745 by spdygon
Replied by spdygon on topic Fork Seals.. Has anyone tried this?
i would get the All Balls Seals...Top Notch

1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

More
25 Jan 2015 18:14 #659747 by Kapahulu
Replied by Kapahulu on topic Fork Seals.. Has anyone tried this?
If the seals are totally shot, Seal Mate won't fix them. A set of seals cost about $12 bucks. Yes it's a hassle to change them but then you'll be in good shape for a long time.

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jan 2015 19:03 #659749 by LuckyLucOnBass
Replied by LuckyLucOnBass on topic Fork Seals.. Has anyone tried this?

Kapahulu wrote: If the seals are totally shot, Seal Mate won't fix them. A set of seals cost about $12 bucks. Yes it's a hassle to change them but then you'll be in good shape for a long time.

Agreed. It will be a learning experience. This bike has taught me how to change a tire, rebuild brakes, clean dirty carbs, some electrical work.... a little fork work will just add to the knowledge.

1983 KZ550 M1

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jan 2015 19:14 #659751 by LuckyLucOnBass
I have a question...

What special tools am I going to need? Will regular mechanic's tools work?

1983 KZ550 M1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Jan 2015 19:40 #659753 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Fork Seals.. Has anyone tried this?
If you decide to tackle this remember, no sharp edges, no hammers (it's not a nail), do them one at a time. Choose your tools wisely. Loosen the caps on the forks while their still on. Remove one fork. Try to loosen the Allen at the bottom of the fork first. Put your Allen socket in and smack it with a mallet to loosen it. If it does, your half way there. Pull the bolt and let it drain. Take off the cap, it's spring loaded but not by much. Pull out the spring. Take out the Allen bolt. The fork tube should slide right out. Use a jewelers screw driver or a stiff wire/tool to go around the bottom of the dust boot to take it off. (if your careful you can reuse it).There is a snap ring holding the seal in place. Get behind it with a sharp tool and gently remove it. Now you can get under the seal. A blunt bar like a tire tool can take it out working little by little around the seal. The seal is disposable, the fork leg is not. Once out, put it back together Seal, snap ring, fork tube and dampener assy, Allen bolt as tight as can, dust boot, put on bike and tighten, fill oil to spec ,put in springs and press down on cap with a socket and short extension. The threads are fine so if won't go on easy, reverse and try again until it screws all the way in without too much resistance. Tighten the Allen.......... NEXT
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: n9viw

More
25 Jan 2015 19:40 #659754 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Fork Seals.. Has anyone tried this?
The single most important tool you need is the Kawasaki Service Manual. If you don't already have one you really should get one. They normally are available on eBay; be sure to get one for your bike's exact year & model. It will give you detailed instructions, torque values, etc. on everything you need to know to work on your bike. Believe me when I say no one has ever regretted buying one. They are worth their weight in gold. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jan 2015 20:01 #659757 by LuckyLucOnBass
Ed, I have a pdf copy on my laptop. I had a factory book years ago that I sold with another KZ I had. My pdf copy is complete too.

1983 KZ550 M1

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jan 2015 20:02 #659758 by LuckyLucOnBass

swest wrote: If you decide to tackle this remember, no sharp edges, no hammers (it's not a nail), do them one at a time. Choose your tools wisely. Loosen the caps on the forks while their still on. Remove one fork. Try to loosen the Allen at the bottom of the fork first. Put your Allen socket in and smack it with a mallet to loosen it. If it does, your half way there. Pull the bolt and let it drain. Take off the cap, it's spring loaded but not by much. Pull out the spring. Take out the Allen bolt. The fork tube should slide right out. Use a jewelers screw driver or a stiff wire/tool to go around the bottom of the dust boot to take it off. (if your careful you can reuse it).There is a snap ring holding the seal in place. Get behind it with a sharp tool and gently remove it. Now you can get under the seal. A blunt bar like a tire tool can take it out working little by little around the seal. The seal is disposable, the fork leg is not. Once out, put it back together Seal, snap ring, fork tube and dampener assy, Allen bolt as tight as can, dust boot, put on bike and tighten, fill oil to spec ,put in springs and press down on cap with a socket and short extension. The threads are fine so if won't go on easy, reverse and try again until it screws all the way in without too much resistance. Tighten the Allen.......... NEXT
Steve

Thank you, Steve. Why can't the manual explain it just like that! Ha!

1983 KZ550 M1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Jan 2015 21:01 #659760 by SWest

More
25 Jan 2015 23:04 #659771 by aek
Replied by aek on topic Fork Seals.. Has anyone tried this?
For a couple of dollars and five minutes of effort it certainly is worth finding out if the seals are shot or just have some grit in them. If it is grit this works really great.
regards,
Art

1980 750-4 LTD original owner

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
26 Jan 2015 01:10 #659774 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Fork Seals.. Has anyone tried this?
As above, but best to replace the copper sealing washer at the bottom, plus a length of pvc water pipe is quite handy for seating the new seals in the absence of the kawasaki special tool. Use the old seal to drive the new one home.

Finally, some pattern seals are the wrong height, despite what their application listing says.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces