front end

More
03 Sep 2014 18:41 #646165 by 78650
front end was created by 78650
Whats going on people I am new to the site and havea lot of guestions first I have a 78 kz 650 and want to upgrade to a inverted fort style front end I know mods are gojng to have to happen but just need a starting point on what will fit ...thank...many more guestions to come...any and all help is greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2014 19:42 - 03 Sep 2014 19:42 #646180 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic front end
Best answer is just to start browsing the project section and search the technical section.

It all depends on how much you want to spend for parts and how much work you are willing/able to do yourself.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax
Last edit: 03 Sep 2014 19:42 by StreetfighterKz.

More
04 Sep 2014 21:40 #646312 by steell
Replied by steell on topic front end
And nothing fits, unless you modify it to make it do so. If you're a machinist with a shop full of tools and equipment, it's easy, if not, then much more difficult. :P

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
07 Sep 2014 07:15 - 11 Sep 2014 10:15 #646551 by 78650
Replied by 78650 on topic front end
Steell...I hope everyone on this site is not like you, both your replies you did not need to waste your time, are you a dick all the time......you can answer that guestion...

Let's see three posts and you are insulting long time respected members. I suggest that you step back and consider how your actions might affect your longevity here.
kzcsi
Last edit: 11 Sep 2014 10:15 by KZQ.

More
07 Sep 2014 08:59 #646566 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Re:front end
I wasn't trying to be a dick but the question of front end swaps and swingarm swaps has been brought up over and over on this site to the point of beating a dead horse at times. (You're new so you're not aware of it ) But seriously, if you search through the project sections you can see how/what was done to get each particular unit to work plus maybe get some inspiration for other parts and way to build your bike up.

I've done a couple frontend swaps and they're documented in my build threads linked in my signature.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

• HBKwaka
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2014 10:22 #646577 by HBKwaka
Replied by HBKwaka on topic Re:front end
Other than looks wat is the advantage to inverting the forks? As far as a mechanical engineering stand point it seems to make the forks weaker. Wat are the advantages?

More
07 Sep 2014 13:04 #646589 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Re:front end

HBKwaka wrote: Other than looks wat is the advantage to inverting the forks? As far as a mechanical engineering stand point it seems to make the forks weaker. What are the advantages?

None that I can think of on a KZ650. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
07 Sep 2014 14:32 #646594 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic front end

78650 wrote: Steell...I hope everyone on this site is not like you, both your replies you did not need to waste your time, are you a dick all the time......you can answer that guestion...

Steell wasn't being a dick; he knows what he is talking about. Like it or not, what he said was true as you will eventually find out if you make the modification. Good luck with it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Sep 2014 16:10 - 08 Sep 2014 16:16 #646741 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Re:front end

HBKwaka wrote: Other than looks wat is the advantage to inverting the forks? As far as a mechanical engineering stand point it seems to make the forks weaker. Wat are the advantages?

The larger OD of the female fork tubes provides more area for the triple clamps to clamp to, The end result is a fork assembly that deflects less then a conventional fork. Most inverted, or male slider, forks are built around a cartridge damper which is superior in almost every way compared to a damper rod fork.
If you have the time and money ( lots of money) male slider forks are a great modification for any mid 75s and newer motorcycle. Lots of money!

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750
Last edit: 08 Sep 2014 16:16 by 80B4. Reason: stupid spell check!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

More
08 Sep 2014 17:32 #646753 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Re:front end

80B4 wrote:

HBKwaka wrote: Other than looks wat is the advantage to inverting the forks? As far as a mechanical engineering stand point it seems to make the forks weaker. Wat are the advantages?

The larger OD of the female fork tubes provides more area for the triple clamps to clamp to, The end result is a fork assembly that deflects less then a conventional fork. Most inverted, or male slider, forks are built around a cartridge damper which is superior in almost every way compared to a damper rod fork.
If you have the time and money ( lots of money) male slider forks are a great modification for any mid 75s and newer motorcycle. Lots of money!

Without a doubt, but at what point does the wonderfulness of the newer forks get overwhelmed by the weakness of the antique frame?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• HBKwaka
  • Visitor
08 Sep 2014 18:53 #646765 by HBKwaka
Replied by HBKwaka on topic Re:front end

80B4 wrote:

Great for Kneviel jumps I guess...

More
08 Sep 2014 20:43 #646783 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Re:front end

TexasKZ wrote:

80B4 wrote:

Without a doubt, but at what point does the wonderfulness of the newer forks get overwhelmed by the weakness of the antique frame?

Only your wallet knows the answer to that question. I have found that it's the forks and swing arm that cause most of the flex in 70's eara motorcycles. Stiffen those two systems, align the wheels, invest in proper rate springs and modern damping and most (not all) mid 70's and newer bikes handle very well. Especially when they are kept on street tires.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee