Dirt question.

More
29 Jun 2014 14:22 #638372 by JR5231
Dirt question. was created by JR5231
Hello all. So I have a Kaw Dirtbike question. I know I know... This is a KZ Forum, but please read the whole post before you scold me. I traded a toy of mine for a 78/79 Kawasaki KL 250 dirtbike that looks like it was hidden in a time capsule for many years with just 2,000 miles on it. His story was that it was a family members and when the original owner died he was given the bike , without a title and said " it had electrical issues" since the 1980's and the original owner/family member just put it in dry storage and left it until he passed. The current guy said he was done messing with it, pulser coil and other various overpriced issues that he didn't want to del with. After verifying with the police department it wasn't stolen I took the trade... I felt that this bike shouldn't be parted out like many of the other clean KL's I've seen on eBay. It needed to be resurrected and enjoyed. Well, that took me 5 mins to find the coil wire bullet connector appeared to be connected but was just held in place by the rubber cover.. It runs like brand new and after a carb clean and replacing the carb gaskets I want to legally ride it on the street. Unfortunately my state says no title no street riding. I'm searching for a titled chassis now to swap over everything, or almost everything but mainly making sure the motor and suspension will fit. I've been searching and found that the KZ250 and a KLX 250 runs the same motor. My question is: does anyone have chassis knowledge that could verify if everything else would swap over with minor modification? It appears the KZ has the traditional drop down cruiser frame so I'd have to find a welder to swap rear frames. Don't know if I want to go through that but that's an option. Can anyone chime in on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2014 23:42 #638415 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Dirt question.
There are ways to get things done, but first we need to know what your State of residence where you want to register the vehicle.

KD9JUR

More
30 Jun 2014 01:21 #638422 by JR5231
Replied by JR5231 on topic Dirt question.
That probably would help. Illinois

More
30 Jun 2014 08:40 - 30 Jun 2014 08:42 #638449 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Dirt question.
There is a bonding process, and it takes a little time and money, but it can be done if you know the name on the lost title. My friend recently did this with an RD400 with lost title. I don't remember the exact steps, so you may have to do some research.

You have to have it appraised at a local shop that does appraisals. Some shops can do it with just a few good photos of the bike via email. Then in the application you have to post a certain amount of money to cover the value of the bike. After several years ( I think 3), you get the money back if no one claims ownership of the bike.

The good part is you get the title right away, you can then get plates and ride it, and even sell it. After you have the title, the state (IL) does not care what you do with the bike since you posted the bond money. If someone then proves ownership, they get the money, but not the bike.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2014 08:42 by loudhvx.

More
30 Jun 2014 11:10 #638460 by JR5231
Replied by JR5231 on topic Dirt question.
Thank you. I do appreciate the help. I have looked into the bonding process and seems I have to go through heck and high water ( not to mention the extras costs). I'll definitely have to re-evaluate the situation then. Thanks for all the help.

More
30 Jun 2014 13:52 #638479 by K.D. HART