Removing footpeg studs

More
09 Mar 2014 11:58 #624619 by Shimmy
Removing footpeg studs was created by Shimmy
Does anyone know the proper way to remove footpeg studs (my bike's a 1980 KZ750 LTD)? I pulled off the footpeg and the nut off the back, and it looks like the inside of where it goes in the frame is threaded, but there's nothing to really grab on to in order to twist it off. I'm pretty sure I'd chew up the smooth bit if I cranked on it with vice grips, so should I just keep squirting WD-40 on it until it loosens up? Thanks as always!

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
09 Mar 2014 13:43 #624624 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Removing footpeg studs
if its long enough you can thread two nuts to lock the bottom one on to remove, or you could use a stud puller. WD40 isnt going to do anything, you should use a penetrating oil like Kroil. If you are removing the footpeg studs you are presumably switching to forward or rear controls, what does it matter if you score the studs?

More
09 Mar 2014 13:57 #624625 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Removing footpeg studs
I have had too drill a hole in one and put a bar threw to get it out. Very stubborn.

More
09 Mar 2014 13:59 #624626 by Shimmy
Replied by Shimmy on topic Removing footpeg studs
I've been meaning to pick up a better penetrating oil, luckily WD-40 has usually been enough. I'll try the two nut thing, I should be able to fit them on there. Even though I've been modifying the bike, my goal is to be able to undo everything if needed (other than the paint on the tank). But I'll give that a shot, thanks!

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
09 Mar 2014 23:08 #624684 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Removing footpeg studs
A good pair of channel locks will normally break them loose.

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
16 Mar 2014 18:23 #625475 by Shimmy
Replied by Shimmy on topic Removing footpeg studs
Finally got a chance to give this a try - the two nut trick worked well on one but another was about to wreck the threads so I was going to have to attempt the drill/bar thing you mentioned, Peter.

But removing the one was enough to mock up what I was going for. Unfortunately although the rearsets I was trying mounted right up to points on the frame, some bits on the bike interfered with the controls, so back to the rearsets I made from the stock footpeg brackets.

Can't win 'em all. Thanks for the tips though, guys!

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

More
19 Mar 2014 05:06 #625736 by toad
Replied by toad on topic Removing footpeg studs
pipe wrench works good

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear