Brake rotors

More
15 Nov 2013 06:33 #613106 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Brake rotors
If the problem is only 1/8", you could easily file out the required clearance from the center 'face' of the caliper between the plates. In fact, you probably wouldn't have to cut that much to get the required clearance between the edge of the rotor and the inside of the caliper. Depending on how the caliper is hitting the rotor, it could actually be VERY little metal to get the clearance you'd need.
The metal in the caliper is a lot softer than the rotor, so the machining work would be a lot less technically challenging and you could be very targetted if you wanted to be minimalist.
I wouldn't do it, but the idea isn't terrible.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2013 07:27 #613111 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Brake rotors

steell wrote:

Kidkawie wrote: cut the caliper. (Flame Retardent- ON)

I can't see how that would work.
Care to elaborate ?

Grind out the caliper where the rotor hits. You have a single piston caliper, right? No fluid on both sides. 1/8" should be fine.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• uglee
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New 2da game but Tru 2this thang!!!!!
More
29 Nov 2013 20:52 #614421 by uglee
Replied by uglee on topic Brake rotors
Sorry for the missing posts guys. No time as school has been kicking my arse!! The caliber clearance is in diameter not off-set so grinding on it is not looking like an option. Just walked out in the garage to check and if you are right Kid then this might be a cheap swap. Hope to do an update in my build thread. Pictures are key in this journey.

• uglee
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Nov 2013 21:30 #614425 by uglee
Kid is right!! Can I grind 3/16 out of the caliber and still be safe??? gonna break the caliber down and check clearances in the morning.

• uglee
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 May 2014 20:02 #632511 by uglee
just to update the thread............Took the caliber apart and hit it with the grinder. Centered the wheel in the forks and made some changes to a caliber mounting bolt and its on the bike,
!976 kz400 with 09 ninja 250 front wheel/ tire
Still gotta run brake lines, master cylinder, and still put the grinder to the rotor just for a bit more clearance.