Front brakes dragging - brake overhaul questions

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
26 Mar 2013 19:59 #578965 by savedrider
So the old Z1 is still running great, but the only thing keeping me from riding her is the front brakes. Last time out the brakes were locked up after riding and parking for a bit. Once they loosen up they will still drag while riding which obviously isn't safe.

I've flushed/bled the system with new fluid and that didn't help. I'm ready to pull the calipers off and go through the brakes. The manual says for '75 Z1 that I would need to remove the front wheel in order to remove the calipers. Is this true? I can if needed, but it would be easier to do it without removing the front wheel.

I'll probably find the old fluid all gummed up inside the calipers after I remove the pistons. Hopefully I can just clean up the pistons with some scotch brite pad and all will be well. Should I think about doing the seals too? Any other tips/help/etc? Thanks!

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
26 Mar 2013 23:53 #579038 by wireman
I don't remember ever having to pull wheel to get calipers off ,while youre at it Id also pull master cylinder off and rebuild it at same time. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
27 Mar 2013 04:22 #579078 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Front brakes dragging - brake overhaul questions
Be sure to clean the pins that the caliper rides on and recoat with the special brake grease. After a while that grease coagulates and the brakes drag because the caliper doesn't float freely.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman