Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Check out these brakes 30 Jun 2006 06:08 #58228

• waterman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
OK, that got my interest, how is that set up? I take it that all you have is a fabricated metal adaptor plate, right? What thickness did you use? Any problems with flex? What type of metal? Those aren't the prettiest brakes I've ever seen, but if they stop you quicker (ie. save your life), looks can take a back seat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Check out these brakes 30 Jun 2006 07:28 #58246

• Z1R rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I made the adapter plate in my shop using a drill press, die grinder, and a tap & die set. Used 3/8 aluminum flat, for weight savings and ease of grinding. Most all the calipers I've looked at are a little different, so you'd have to make your adapters after you get the calipers (got mine off e-bay, $80 for the calipers, stainless lines, and the master cyl. off the ZX-6) With the pistons also on the inside of the caliper the clearance to the spokes got REAL close. I used the 3/8 as it's the same dimension as the mounting plate of the stock calipers. No flex so far,(been on for a year now) works great. After you squeeze that lever the first time, it'll look a whole lot better!!:) B) and you get that Eddie road racer look. I keep all the stuff I replace on the bike so I can put it back to stock if I ever sell it, or start to do shows.
1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

Check out these brakes 30 Jun 2006 08:28 #58253

• waterman
  • User
Thaks Z1rider. Considering that I put on stainless lines to improve my brakes, this is an even better step.

Check out these brakes 01 Jul 2006 19:07 #58610

• Wicked_KZ
  • User

Is dot 5 better than dot4?

dot 5 is better than dot 4 but the 2 absolutely can not be mixed. what happens when mixed is they form into a concoction with a voracious appetite for rubber...you know... master cylender seals, caliper piston seals, brake lines etc.. etc...

the only way I'd use dot 5 in any system would be if all the components were new and never seen dot 3 or 4.. but yeah the dot 5 stuff is better other than that little problem.

• Page: