Master Cylinder

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
07 Mar 2013 17:55 - 07 Mar 2013 17:59 #575829 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Master Cylinder
I've had great success "reverse bleeding" my brakes.
1). empty the master cylinder.
2). fill a 20 ml syringe with brake fluid.
3). open bleed nipple.
4). connect syringe to bleed nipple with plastic hose/tube.
5). SLOWLY inject brake fluid into system until fluid appears in master cylinder.
6). close bleed nipple
7). top up master cylinder
8). squeeze brakes a few times.
9). go riding! :woohoo:

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD
Last edit: 07 Mar 2013 17:59 by slayer61. Reason: forgot a step. sorry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Mar 2013 18:13 #575834 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Master Cylinder

bromz wrote: do i need to open my resivoir when i do that?

Nope,just pump lever a few times and wrap zip tie around it and bar.
You might try cracking a bleeder valve in first thing in morning with lever still pulled in to see if a big air bubble comes out. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
07 Mar 2013 20:09 - 07 Mar 2013 20:15 #575859 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Master Cylinder

wireman wrote: Ive used the small master cylinder with dual discs on many bikes with no troubles,Id try zip tying lever towards the bar to keep pressure on it over night to see if it works any air back up to the master cylinder B)

Retaining the 14mm master cylinder used with a single front disc, and adding a second front disc, will typically increase the sensitivity of the brake, whereby the former squeeze effort with single disc will produce a significantly increased braking action with dual discs.

Such increased lever sensitivity may be all right where the rider has become acclimated to it. But there are reports of riders being surprised by the increased braking response, such as front wheel lock-up (especially in reduced traction situations, such as wet road, damp leaves, sand, gravel, etc.), causing loss of control and tip-over.

Kawasaki had reasons for using a larger bore master cylinder with introduction of dual front discs, and it wasn't solely related to providing additional fluid for the second caliper.

A super-sensitive front brake could pose a risk to a novice rider who in a tight situation instinctively grabs and squeezes the brake lever with all his might.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Mar 2013 20:15 by Patton.

More
07 Mar 2013 21:33 #575883 by dbc92s10
Replied by dbc92s10 on topic Master Cylinder
i have the stock front master cylinder w lever off my 81 ltd1000 if you want it pm me and i will send it to you

81 ltd1000
1135 mtc 10.5/1
cavanaugh racing head
38.6/32 p&p
APE k410 cams
APE hardware and tensioner
84 gpz1100 trans
kerker w comp baffle
rs36 carbs
fast by gast race crank
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Mar 2013 22:57 #575909 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Master Cylinder

Patton wrote:

wireman wrote: Ive used the small master cylinder with dual discs on many bikes with no troubles,Id try zip tying lever towards the bar to keep pressure on it over night to see if it works any air back up to the master cylinder B)

Retaining the 14mm master cylinder used with a single front disc, and adding a second front disc, will typically increase the sensitivity of the brake, whereby the former squeeze effort with single disc will produce a significantly increased braking action with dual discs.

Such increased lever sensitivity may be all right where the rider has become acclimated to it. But there are reports of riders being surprised by the increased braking response, such as front wheel lock-up (especially in reduced traction situations, such as wet road, damp leaves, sand, gravel, etc.), causing loss of control and tip-over.

Kawasaki had reasons for using a larger bore master cylinder with introduction of dual front discs, and it wasn't solely related to providing additional fluid for the second caliper.

A super-sensitive front brake could pose a risk to a novice rider who in a tight situation instinctively grabs and squeezes the brake lever with all his might.

Good Fortune! :)

Chicken! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.