Frame rework

More
03 Feb 2013 16:10 #570573 by Handcannon
Frame rework was created by Handcannon
1976 kz900a-4.Just wondering if I need to add anything to the factory frame for strength. Also would like comments about removing the frame brackets that the center stand was attached. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2013 16:32 #570580 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Frame rework

Handcannon wrote: 1976 kz900a-4.Just wondering if I need to add anything to the factory frame for strength. Also would like comments about removing the frame brackets that the center stand was attached. Thanks

Would not remove the center stand attachment brackets, because the brackets enable a center stand to be quickly and easily fitted, temporarily, for maintenance chores.

:unsure: What purpose would be served by removing the brackets?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz

More
03 Feb 2013 16:48 #570583 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Frame rework
+1 on what Patton said. These old girls tend to benefit from some bracing around the headstock. I'm sure wireman will be along before long, he is very knowledgeable when it comes to add seeing ma kaws shortcomings.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz

More
03 Feb 2013 16:48 #570584 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic Frame rework
I think frame bracing depends on what you plan to do with your bike. If you ride in a straight line a lot, sometimes take it through some twisties, but not really putting the rubber to the ground in corners you wouldn't see the benefit from bracing. Plus, you're looking at a complete tear down, unless you're going to try to shield all the critical parts during welding/painting (which might not turn out as good as you would like). I braced mine because my frame was broken and I was doing a complete tear down/rebuild.

If you want to add bracing there's plenty of excellent examples of what/how in the Projects section. Really invaluable information. You can buy frame brace kits from Z1 Ent., and I believe a few members here. Or you can check out the Sanctuary literature for guidance (I believe you can find it in the form index files).

I removed my center stand mounts because they were in the way of my mono shock mount. But having one bike with a center stand, and one without, I can say I wouldn't have removed it if I didn't have to. I use wheel/swing arm stands, but I always feel like I could knock the bike off (probably not though).

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
03 Feb 2013 18:18 #570597 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Frame rework
why

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
03 Feb 2013 18:48 - 03 Feb 2013 18:49 #570598 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Frame rework

trianglelaguna wrote: why

Good point. The bike has survived 37 years as is. What has changed that will stress out the frame?

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 03 Feb 2013 18:49 by 650ed.

More
03 Feb 2013 19:56 #570609 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Frame rework
Bracing doesn't hurt but not totally necessary under even some pretty spirted riding. No adverse effects taking off the center stand mounts. I kept mine and used them to do my monoshock swap. I generally decide on mods based on what has allready been done to the chassis. If it has been previously cut on beyond what could be fiscally repaired then it becomes fair game to mod the heck of it. If it's a pretty clean and unmolested chassis, I leave it that way. There are plenty of cut on chassis that can be had pretty reasonably without cutting a good example up. Just my 2 cents on the preservation of these bikes.

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz, wireman

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Feb 2013 23:07 #570647 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Frame rework
What are you planning to do with the bike?
Before bracing/modifying any frame you need to make sure its straight ;)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
04 Feb 2013 16:03 - 04 Feb 2013 16:05 #570735 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Frame rework
I installed a modified GPz1100 engine into an 1982 GPz750 frame, pretty much the same frame as the KZ650. I did not brace it anywhere. I did install a ZRX swingarm and shocks but other than that the frame is pretty stock. The bike handles really well and is not flexy. I ride it really hard in the twisties and have not had a problem with it. Now if I was going to race the bike on a track I would probably brace it due to the higher speeds. On the street and at street speeds I would say no bracing needed. Now I don't know if the KZ650 frame is any stiffer than an early KZ900.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2013 16:05 by baldy110.

More
04 Feb 2013 16:20 #570737 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Frame rework

Handcannon wrote: 1976 kz900a-4.Just wondering if I need to add anything to the factory frame for strength. Also would like comments about removing the frame brackets that the center stand was attached. Thanks

I don't keep the center stand installed on my 75 Z1, but when I need to do something that requires the stand, I just temporarily mount the stand to work on the bike. Takes 15 seconds. When I'm done I just take it back off.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
04 Feb 2013 16:44 #570739 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Frame rework

baldy110 wrote: I installed a modified GPz1100 engine into an 1982 GPz750 frame, pretty much the same frame as the KZ650. I did not brace it anywhere. I did install a ZRX swingarm and shocks but other than that the frame is pretty stock. The bike handles really well and is not flexy. I ride it really hard in the twisties and have not had a problem with it. Now if I was going to race the bike on a track I would probably brace it due to the higher speeds. On the street and at street speeds I would say no bracing needed. Now I don't know if the KZ650 frame is any stiffer than an early KZ900.

That gpz frame is far stronger than a stock kz900 frame,especially in the backbone and steering head area. :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Handcannon

More
04 Feb 2013 17:10 #570746 by Handcannon
Replied by Handcannon on topic Frame rework
The older you get the more you learn. Now I wish I had kept the center stand I,took off 20 years ago. Guess they would be hard to find now and no telling the cost.