Can I stretch the inside pivot area of the frame?

More
03 Feb 2013 01:01 - 03 Feb 2013 01:02 #570485 by Hollywoodmx
I could use an extra 1/2" for my r1 swingarm. Can I stretch the frame at the inside swing arm pivot area of the frame? Could it break? Could it distort?

Checking first. B)

If your asking how I would either hammer a block of wood or use a hydrolic jack.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Last edit: 03 Feb 2013 01:02 by Hollywoodmx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Feb 2013 01:03 #570486 by wireman
You would have to cut some crossmembers loose and extend and relocate lots of stuff,id just shorten the swingarm pivot tube 1/4" on each side.
Or you could just find a suzuki gsxr arm,they fit right in there with a couple shims B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
03 Feb 2013 02:11 #570488 by 650ed
Bad idea.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Feb 2013 03:16 #570496 by bluezbike
Not that I want to diss anyone but why is it a bad idea to stretch the frame out? Just want to know is all

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
03 Feb 2013 03:32 #570497 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Can I stretch the inside pivot area of the frame?
no

More
03 Feb 2013 06:17 #570512 by zed1015
I would avoid it like the plague and definatley not a job to be done at home with a jack, you can't guarantee the frame will spread equally both sides from the center line.
You need a frame jig at the very least.
Jacking the frame apart will most certainly put the frame out of line,the pivot area out of plane and put extreme stress on the surrounding joints.
Also the actual pivot bosses will not move straight outwards but in more of an arc so the spindle will not go straight through either.
Much easier and safer to mod the arm.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, bluezbike

More
03 Feb 2013 10:49 #570525 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Can I stretch the inside pivot area of the frame?
PM Larry C for he had to do that for the ZX7 swing arm in his build...
Yes it can be done... ;)

As with any fab work, will it be a bitch Yup but if done correctly anything can be accomplished...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
03 Feb 2013 20:00 #570610 by KzJim

bluezbike wrote: Not that I want to diss anyone but why is it a bad idea to stretch the frame out? Just want to know is all

Stretching something that wasn't meant/designed to be stretched is just a bad idea in general.

If you do manage to stretch it;
Removing what ever mechanical means you used will let the frame return to somewhat of its original state. You will need to 'over-stretch' the frame so when it returns it will have the desired spacing, figuring out what that amount is could prove imposable.

You will need to keep the pivot points on each side parallel so you don't get any bind on the bearings and so the pivot bolt will go thru without having to force it.

And as Wireman said, there will be lots of cutting and re-welding.. a narrower arm would be easier to manage, I put a '99 'Busa arm in my sons '84 gpz project.. I added 2, 1/8" spacers for each side that included compensating for the 'Busas larger pivot bolt and the 17mm of the gpz.

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
03 Feb 2013 20:05 #570611 by les holt
I've done it, not really that big of deal but you better be certain your square when done. I go in a form of a z bend to keep the swingarm pivots square and parallel with each other. Braces need cut out and replaced. A jig isn't necessary but HIGHLY recommended.

Les

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Feb 2013 22:57 #570643 by wireman
As much as he want on about not wantinting to hurt the powder coating on his frame when he got the bike I wouldnt advise trying it! :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
04 Feb 2013 04:59 #570691 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic Can I stretch the inside pivot area of the frame?
OK OK I wont stretch the frame. :lol:

I dont need the 1/4 per say but it would have given me a tad more room to work with on the swingarm.

wireman wrote: As much as he want on about not wantinting to hurt the powder coating on his frame when he got the bike I wouldnt advise trying it! :laugh:

Bwaaahahaha!:laugh:

Hey that powder coating is like rock hard! It's better than stock paint! I was beating it up today (by accident) and it didn't even show any blemishes..

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

More
04 Feb 2013 05:55 #570694 by mick z1a
such a shame to be warping these frames when there is a plethora of bolt on parts to take you where you want/need to go.