76 KZ 900 Front Disk Brakes

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
11 Jan 2013 23:32 #566929 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 76 KZ 900 Front Disk Brakes
Ride down a steep as mountain with some twisties in it and tell me how much you love your drum rear brake! :sick: :woohoo:
The single disc front and drum rear were left over from days of the much lighter triples,and they did a piss poor job of stopping them let alone a heavy ass 900/1000.
Take 900 and a 1000 and put identical good rubber and aftermarket shocks on both then take them both up to 100mph and see how much distance it takes to slow both of them down and let me know.
I use rear brake very little compared to the front,but when I do need it Ill take hydraulics over mechanical brakes any day B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2013 14:50 #566999 by Handcannon
Replied by Handcannon on topic 76 KZ 900 Front Disk Brakes
Will the parts from a 1000 be a direct fit to my spoked rims as far as adding the extra disc, caliper and reservoir?

More
13 Jan 2013 15:05 #567159 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic 76 KZ 900 Front Disk Brakes

wireman wrote: Ride down a steep as mountain with some twisties in it and tell me how much you love your drum rear brake! :sick: :woohoo:
The single disc front and drum rear were left over from days of the much lighter triples,and they did a piss poor job of stopping them let alone a heavy ass 900/1000.
Take 900 and a 1000 and put identical good rubber and aftermarket shocks on both then take them both up to 100mph and see how much distance it takes to slow both of them down and let me know.
I use rear brake very little compared to the front,but when I do need it Ill take hydraulics over mechanical brakes any day B)

I do every weekend. Google Big Bear, Angeles Crest, Ortega Highway, Palms to Pines Highway, Mulholland Highway, and Palomar Mountain. ;)

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
13 Jan 2013 15:11 #567160 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic 76 KZ 900 Front Disk Brakes

wireman wrote: Ride down a steep as mountain with some twisties in it and tell me how much you love your drum rear brake! :sick: :woohoo:

I do every weekend- its the single largest redeeming factor of living in Southern California. Google Big Bear, Angeles Crest, Ortega Highway, Palms to Pines Highway, Mulholland Highway, and Palomar Mountain. ;)

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• wireman
  • User
More
13 Jan 2013 15:27 #567164 by wireman

Handcannon wrote: Will the parts from a 1000 be a direct fit to my spoked rims as far as adding the extra disc, caliper and reservoir?

The hubs are the same,your best/easiest bet would be to find the caliper/brackets from a 78 1000 it should work on the ride side of your forks since theyre reversed.
Unless you want to find a complete brake set up from an ltd bike B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
13 Jan 2013 15:29 #567165 by wireman

mtbspeedfreak wrote:

I do every weekend- its the single largest redeeming factor of living in Southern California. Google Big Bear, Angeles Crest, Ortega Highway, Palms to Pines Highway, Mulholland Highway, and Palomar Mountain. ;)

Try the same route on a bike with a rear disc brake and compare notes! :laugh:
Ill be in carmel/monterrey on the 23rd this month till feb 6th B)

More
13 Jan 2013 15:45 - 13 Jan 2013 15:48 #567174 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 76 KZ 900 Front Disk Brakes
Surprising news:

Attachment 00000_2013-01-13.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jan 2013 15:48 by 650ed.

• wireman
  • User
More
13 Jan 2013 15:47 #567176 by wireman

650ed wrote: Surprising news:

Attachment not found

Good luck,get Aflac! :woohoo:

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Jan 2013 18:18 #567207 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic 76 KZ 900 Front Disk Brakes

Handcannon wrote: Will the parts from a 1000 be a direct fit to my spoked rims as far as adding the extra disc, caliper and reservoir?

Yes they will. As long as you don't mind going away from original parts. And they are cheap on ebay. I always see them going cheap. As long as no one tricks you in to buying a small bore trapezoid master cylinder that is not the 5/8" bore. You need the 5/8" bore for dual discs. I made 4 round 5/8" bore master cylinders last year. Machined them and put new OEM kits in them. Kept 2 then sold 2 on ebay. Gee, strangly enough, I did not make any money off of them?

Good luck with your project!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
13 Jan 2013 18:24 - 13 Jan 2013 18:25 #567210 by mick z1a
Replied by mick z1a on topic 76 KZ 900 Front Disk Brakes
might be some break stuff on offer here, im not sure what calipers/reservoir the ltd's use though. www.kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/567111...out-my-kz1000-b4-ltd
Last edit: 13 Jan 2013 18:25 by mick z1a.