headstock swap/ legal issues with VIN

More
02 Jan 2013 20:39 #565610 by thatsclever
headstock swap/ legal issues with VIN was created by thatsclever
So I'm brand new to the bike modding world (read paying someone to weld my frame)and am kicking around the idea of raking and swapping out the headstock on my 83 440. I talked to my frame guy and he told me that I should be careful with the swap due to the fact that the vin numbers are on the headstock.
So what im asking is... Is there a way that i can legaly put my vin number on a new headstock?
How many incompetent bureaucrats am i going to have to go through in order to build a legal bike.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2013 20:44 - 02 Jan 2013 20:45 #565612 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic headstock swap/ legal issues with VIN
check your local dmv.
an altered vin is typically a felony in most states i believe.if you can cut your neck out and clean the neck and save the vin just re-use the neck and rebuild your frame to it,without altering the vin and you will prolly be fine.
again don't take anyones word fo it chekc your local dmv for the LAW!

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 02 Jan 2013 20:45 by 531blackbanshee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thatsclever

More
02 Jan 2013 20:48 #565613 by thatsclever
Replied by thatsclever on topic headstock swap/ legal issues with VIN
That's been the general consensus.

More
02 Jan 2013 22:06 #565626 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic headstock swap/ legal issues with VIN

thatsclever wrote: So I'm brand new to the bike modding world (read paying someone to weld my frame)and am kicking around the idea of raking and swapping out the headstock on my 83 440. I talked to my frame guy and he told me that I should be careful with the swap due to the fact that the vin numbers are on the headstock.
So what im asking is... Is there a way that i can legaly put my vin number on a new headstock?
How many incompetent bureaucrats am i going to have to go through in order to build a legal bike.

Thanks in advance

Why?
The bearings are the same I.d. and o.d. as the bigger bikes.
Only one of them is narrower on the 400 and the stem off the bigger bikes are longer.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
02 Jan 2013 22:47 - 02 Jan 2013 22:49 #565634 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic headstock swap/ legal issues with VIN
no need to replace neck for a rake, but either way headstock neck replacement is like learning to color in kindergarten for the DMV worker. any altered untitled bike must be inspected by
the police (sherrif) (county clerk) (bonded DMV Associste) and they are all wanting to find the red crayon. it is almost funny to watch them on these old KZ's that look like I welded it when it was new

if your already titled its a bit easier just buy a titled fram from a dealer or friend get a bill of sale and title do the welding and retitle as the donor neck bike.

What I meant by the crayon comment small courthouses and DMV's are always looking for some excitement and the first thing they are taught when inspecting biked is to check the neck mid
frame welds and correct engine year for frame if one doesnt look right then its off to the hoop jumping contest title for roiginal bike with motor number or receipy for parts intstaleed it can get overwhelming

indiana has a law if its not a Harley Davidison is atleast 15 years old and has a NADA value less than 5000 all you need is a police report and a bill of sale (hand written receipt qualifies)

keeping the original neck is far superior in the beurecratic realm.

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...
Last edit: 02 Jan 2013 22:49 by ramtough_63.

More
02 Jan 2013 23:06 #565637 by thatsclever
Replied by thatsclever on topic headstock swap/ legal issues with VIN
Ramtough... thanks for the laugh, I am in Atlanta so with any luck, some prayers, and all of my run good for the year, somebody will be able to at least find a pink crayon and we can go from there. I will be calling at least a dozen offices tomorrow and with any luck I will get some unofficial statements from government officials.

I'm glad i'm getting the advice now rather than later. So thank you for the input

As far as the mod (ear muff time for the purists) I'm trying to use a sportster front end because I prefer it over the original 440 trees, and for those who think its a bad idea well at the end of the day i'm doing this because i can and want to!

More
03 Jan 2013 01:54 #565658 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic headstock swap/ legal issues with VIN

thatsclever wrote: Ramtough... thanks for the laugh, I am in Atlanta so with any luck, some prayers, and all of my run good for the year, somebody will be able to at least find a pink crayon and we can go from there. I will be calling at least a dozen offices tomorrow and with any luck I will get some unofficial statements from government officials.

I'm glad i'm getting the advice now rather than later. So thank you for the input

As far as the mod (ear muff time for the purists) I'm trying to use a sportster front end because I prefer it over the original 440 trees, and for those who think its a bad idea well at the end of the day i'm doing this because i can and want to!

have you done any measzuring on thre sporty tree some years rear shocks dorec tbolt front fender and others etc...

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...