points vrs electronic

More
02 Dec 2012 21:51 #561021 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic points vrs electronic

650ed wrote: My view is that there are pros and cons to points and electronic ignitions. Points do wear and need to be replaced every 8-10,000 miles, but they generally will not have a hard failure. Electronic is nice because you set it and forget it; but if it fails it will leave you on foot.

The other option is to have an electronic ignition that uses the points to trigger. Stock ignition can be restored by switching two wires.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2012 22:23 #561029 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic points vrs electronic
what can i say six of one half a dozen thanks

More
03 Dec 2012 15:37 #561177 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic points vrs electronic

steell wrote: At least if you have a points ignition it will still run after experiencing a EMP event from a nuclear bomb explosion :P

You know very well that the bug-out vehicle is going to be biodiesel running glow plugs... no ignition at all. :)

More
03 Dec 2012 20:44 #561204 by steell
Replied by steell on topic points vrs electronic

loudhvx wrote:

steell wrote: At least if you have a points ignition it will still run after experiencing a EMP event from a nuclear bomb explosion :P

You know very well that the bug-out vehicle is going to be biodiesel running glow plugs... no ignition at all. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KD9JUR

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
03 Dec 2012 21:36 #561211 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic points vrs electronic
If my electronics ever flat line either from an EMP or turning to old dust I will contemplate it for 1 whole second. I will then use alien technology and use this little black communication device that I speak into and it sends my voice out through the air to someone with a similar device and tell them to get my trailer and come pick me up. That might be a friend or an employee. If you do not have one of these devices or a friend to call your problems are deeper than a broken down bike. So I will go with an electronic ignition every time. I'd just rather ride than wrench anymore. Although I do appreciate when others choose points. I once bought a cherry bike(2 stroke triple) for a song when the second set of points were sometimes sticking making the bike run like crap. The owner couldn't buy a vowel and thought it was something drastic. I suspected what it was and got a dream deal. Also I have never had a EI crap out. Maybe I'm just lucky but I think they are pretty tough.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
03 Dec 2012 22:03 #561214 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic points vrs electronic
The only reliable fuel after the big EMP event is going to be .223 ammunition..... if you got that, you won't need to worry about the rest of the stuff.

1979 KZ-750 Twin